on 2 May 2017
good book
on 4 June 2017
Beautiful. Sacred. Blessed
on 6 March 2014
I loved this book, and am about to go right back to the beginning and start again. Lyrical prose that thundered a lifebeat into a soul tired and afraid, and birthed me a new heart ready to trust. If I had the money I'd buy it for everyone I know!

A beautiful exploration of what it means to be a Christian, to rightly worship God. Thorough scriptural references, and wonderfully apropos quotes turn one woman's journey into a roadmap to joy in God and life for all of us who are ready to risk authentic living and soul deep appreciation for all we are given.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 20 March 2016
I found this book very difficult to read and only managed to persist with it until I was about halfway. The author has tried to give a bit of a poetic feel to the book which means it doesn't always makes sense. The structure of the sentences and paragraphs are confusing and the poetic nature of it means that you don't really take in the message from the book as you are too busy trying to make sense of the words. I do have friends that absolutely love this book and I have other friends that loath it so I suppose it really is a case of each to their own. From what I could gather it has a very interesting concept and cam be quite inspirational of you can get past the confusing way it is written, I did really struggle with it as I just wanted a relaxing read in the garden and td particular book felt like far too much hard work for my liking.
on 30 May 2011
There are few books that have such a life changing impact as this beautifully written and crafted piece. Working right back from the idea that part of the fall was to do with mankind being tempted to see all they haven't got and that this brings ingratitude into the world. If we want to reverse this and life a full life, full of gifts, full of intimacy, we need to learn to live with a thankful heart. So many small but golden jewels sparkling through the precious insight into Ann Voskamp's life.
A must, must, must read.
Highly recommendable.
on 30 December 2011
This is a must read for anyone seeking intimacy with God, renewal in prayer life or a more contented attitude.

Voskamp's premise is that thanksgiving, Eucharisteo, is at the heart of our daily walk with God. She explores and develops this idea in what is essentially a memoir, covering her, and her family's journey of gratitude. She is a homeschooling mother of 6 living on a pig-farm in Canada, and many of the images and experiences related are therefore very different from those of UK readers. This doesn't lessen their impact, or the book's relevance, as the focus is very much on being thankful in all situations.

This is no Pollyanna-ish gratitude though, she does not shy away from the 'hard Eucharisteo' of life's pain, grief and fears, the first chapters in particular deal with Voskamp's own tragic and difficult childhood. I did not agree with all of her conclusions, particularly in relation to God's will, but this did not detract in any way from the helpfulness of the book. I had already started a gratitude list before reading the book, but I found it deepened my understanding of gratitude, and inspired me to pursue God's beauty around me.

This book, and the discipline of keeping a gratitude list, have been transformative in my life, and I've continued to re-read it over the past year. One final warning: while the writing is lyrical, and this almost always makes the book a pleasure to read, at times I felt her point was a little obscured by the poetry. I also found her distinctive syntax a bit jarring at times.
on 10 March 2012
Excellent book. I have bought so many copies to share with family and friends. It had such an impact on me and my thinking about the hum drum everyday and the difficult seasons in life and helped me focus on giving thanks in everything and finding God in the moment. Don't by it if you don't like a challenge!
on 15 August 2014
Parts of this book I really love, and it is very thought provoking. However like a previous reviewer I do find the writing style a bit wearing, and often quite off-putting. I thought this would be a keeper, but sadly for me it is not.
on 23 November 2011
This amazing book is beautifully written and will live in your heart for a very long time. There is so much here that one read is not enough - I am currently reading it for a second time and enjoying it just as much. It may well change your life and your heart. Don't worry, it's not a saccharine sweet book about being happy all the time. Ann Voskamp has known pain and heartache in her life, but this book shows how God has led her step by step into a deeper relationship with Him. It's absolutely beautiful and I can't think of many books that I would recommend this highly.
on 30 April 2014
I was given this book by a dear friend and the message is strong - we should be grateful to God in all circumstances. I believe God is good and has the perfect plan for our lives, therefore, we should not question Him when things go awry. But Ann Voskamp has an unusual writing style. For example, 'I can still hear our daughter squealing ecstasy as the ball rolled toward her and the room rang, turned inside out with the bouncing glee. We laughed wonder. Daughter had stretched out her two little arms, clutched that giant globe in two chubby hands, and held it high over her head, her own face tilted back, the round wonders meeting. Again and again, my aunt hit replay: roll ball into purest delight, child squeals laughter, roll again. Our sides hurt happy from the laughter.' (page 166). I felt that Ann Voskamp's forced 'poetic' style (if that was her intention?) detracted from her message. As an avid reader, I found her writing style unique, but not enjoyable.