on 16 May 2017
Lots of long reviews here, so I'll keep it short here. This is, without a doubt, the most important book I have ever read. The evidence is clear, even to skeptics like me, accustomed to reasoned argument and accepting the evidence regardless of where it leads. If the claims of Christ are true, then it really is imperative that you make a decision in respect of them. Read this book. Then make YOUR decision ..... for or against ! Don't listen to what others say. This is YOUR decision, so it is imperative that you have good evidence on which to make it. This book provides that, and on that basis, I made MY decision ...... PRO Christ !
on 22 April 2017
This was very well researched and well written. It takes you on a journey of sceptical investigation. The chapters are not too long and conclude eloquently. For anyone sitting on the fence or anyone only convinced by scientific proof, this book is a 'must read'.
on 26 May 2017
A good book for genuine seekers of Christ or cynics of the Gospel. I did not read the whole book
on 27 May 2017
Very good information. Contained a lot of the questions, that you wanted answering. Was very satisfied with the material and the necessary research skills, that were employed.
on 11 September 2017
A+
on 22 June 2017
This book is ideal for those spiritually seeking or spiritually skeptical. Debra Rufini - Author of 'The Artist's Page.'
on 3 October 2014
I was brought up as a Christian, but was never forced to accept it, and my parents gave me the choice whether or not to go to church when I was 12.
This is during secondary school, about the time when we got taught all about evolution and the big bang theory, so I had an awful lot of information coming at me, and most people were telling me how this "proves there can't be a god". I wasn't convinced, though, and retained some sort of belief in a higher being, though looking back, I can't say I was a Christian.
I attended (and still do) a Christian summer camp every summer, and when I was 15, one of the leaders bought me this book. After reading it, I saw all of the historical evidence for Christ. And how he is who he said he is. This is how I came to accept him into my life, and this reinforced my belief in God, and became an actual Christian.
I'd recommend also buying "The Case for Faith" and "The Case for a Creator", also by Strobel. These two books filled in all my remaining questions about God and Christianity.

All of this said, however, the book is not perfect. Now at University, I have become involved in some of the evangelical things, and my faith has grown much much stronger, but this has let me see that there are still unanswered questions in this book, though mostly those which come from highly sceptical people after much thought, which can be answered in person.

Another problem I found was that Strobel lays out the interviews in interview order, and doesn't link similar points. This might be one interviewee saying something in the middle of his interview, which then comes up as a bit of a surprise at the end of the next one.
Other than that, I'd still recommend this book to anyone new to faith, or who wants to know more about Christianity.
on 18 October 2016
Very disappointing, I had high hopes for this, but it's clumsily written, and even more clumsily dealt with as a subject. Every section begins the same way - a comparison is made to a legal/criminal case, then a ham-handed interview is conducted with a so-called expert. Endless questions seem to seek to say how earnest this all is, as if trying to convince us that a twee answer at the end of a mountain of questions will somehow prove the point - it doesn't.

The interviews are conducted in excruciating style, with constant interjections by the 'interviewer', giving pointless descriptions of how he and the other person looked, or movements each made, giving no relevance at all to the script other than to be annoying. It's almost as if this person has a screw loose which prevents him seeing everyday life as it really is. Very bad writing, which is a shame, as this is the most important subject there is, and he probably means well. But then, so did Hitler.
on 29 September 2013
This is the kind of book that people tend to rate from one extreme or the other. That is, they'll either be convinced by its arguments and give it four or five stars, or they'll find it lacking and give it one or two. There aren't very many people who would give this a "neutral" three stars because, by its very nature, it's very difficult to have neutral feelings about it.

For those reading about 'The Case for Christ' for the first time, this is a very famous and long enduring book which attempts to explain, in as simple language as possible, a rational case for the existence of Jesus Christ as the son of God. I was given a copy to borrow at an Alpha Course (a free and friendly course for non-Christians to learn about Jesus and Christianity), and I've since learned that this book is very common among such gatherings, and held in high regard by Christian apologists in general. The book's author, Lee Strobel, a former journalist with a legal background, explains that he began this book as an atheist looking to better understand Christianity but, by the end of his research, came to the conclusion that the evidence undoubtedly points to the fact that Jesus was the son of God, and the Bible is the word of God. Strobel uses his journalistic skills and legal understanding to present a systematic and rational argument in favour of his new belief, not to mention one that is highly readable and entertaining at the same time. The book consists of various interviews, where Strobel (who allegedly begins as a sceptic and ends up convinced of the Bible's legitimacy) probes into the minds of some of the most respected and academically decorated Christians in America. The result is a powerfully convincing defence of Christianity, if you want to believe it, and one of the most hopelessly one-sided critiques of the Bible, if you don't want to believe it.

And this is where Strobel's promising adventure falls flat. To his credit, I don't think Strobel actually says in this book that he ever set out to present all of the arguments, but rather to show a convincing case in favour of his own newly developed belief. But that's the problem, and why this book should never be recommended to anybody who flat out doesn't believe, because they'll just cling further to those beliefs because of reading it. Strobel interviews some very impressive figures here, but he never presents the other side. He asks them probing questions, where these intellects tear apart their detractors, but he never looks at the arguments of the people with other opinions. Everybody here shares the exact same opinions, and they're presented in such a way to tell us that these are the "only" legitimate opinions, that the opposing arguments are all contradictory and full of holes, and the whole book is framed in such a way to make these theories seem as convincing as possible. Detractors are either atheists, clutching at straws and refusing to accept what's obvious, or they're "liberal" Christians, changing things to suit their agenda. If this was legitimately looking to explore Christianity from a neutral point-of-view, and to show the facts and let the reader make up their own minds, it would have allowed for some of the detractors who were so brutally torn apart to offer their counter-arguments, and it wouldn't have been written in such a way to convince us of the author's beliefs. As such, any knowledgeable atheist, or "liberal Christian", could easily tear this apart and ridicule it... and they do exactly that. Just type "The Case for Christ rebuttal" into Google and you'll be presented with countless examples.

Like I said, if you want to believe that Jesus is the son of God, then you'll accept every word in here. If, however, you genuinely want to learn and understand, then I would highly recommend that you read this book, take notes, and compare it side-by-side with some of the excellent rebuttal websites. Of course, those sites are trying to make Strobel look just as silly as his interviewees tried to make their detractors look, so exercise caution and use your own judgement and common sense. Alternatively, if you're already convinced that Jesus isn't the son of God, you might want to read this because it's about as entertaining and readable an insight into the beliefs and arguments of Christian apologists as you're likely to find. Me? I learnt a lot from reading this and comparing Strobel's words to those of his online adversaries. For one thing, I now feel pretty confident that Jesus was actually a historical figure, and that is pretty much beyond reasonable doubt. I've also learnt that Christian beliefs can, indeed, stand up to scrutiny and logic. But it's a shame that many atheists won't get that impression from this book, as its own biases serve to de-legitimise it.
44 Comments| 53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 April 2017
Awesome read. Very good evangelism tool especially for the skeptics but nonetheless curious.