Customer reviews

on 13 December 2013
Wish I had had this book decades ago. It explains very clearly how to liberate the knitter from rigidly following patterns.

I bought it as I had a problem with a garment that I had knitted but never quite completed (I'd changed the neckline of a pattern but then wasn't sure how to organise the stitches for the neckband. As hoped, the book perfectly answered the question. However, it also explains how to completely design your own garments from scratch. A bit beyond me, I think, at my time of life but I may regain the confidence of youth if I use this book more!

Would definitely recommend to any confident knitter.
on 5 May 2013
The book covers the basics and then moves on to adapting patterns or even making up your own patterns. Easy and logical to follow, it doesn't get tangled up in unnecessary complications .It should inspire confidence in most knitters.
Not many patterns ,so don't buy it as a pattern book, and the yarns are probably not easily available in the UK so you have to be ready to think things through rather than just following blindly.But you should be able to copy garmets you like by following the instructions.
on 25 May 2017
Although I have been knitting for very many years and thought I knew a fair bit about it, this book is a revelation and a delight, I am so pleased with it.
on 13 September 2013
This book deserves everything that has ever been said about it. It has fantastic ideas for pattern making to suit your shape and how to include all of these ideas into your knits.

Brilliant, given in easy to understand lessons and once you have mastered the techniques in this book you will probably always use the ideas in it.
on 28 August 2013
Good buy for experienced & beginner knitters.Lots of info, easy to understand. Patterns can be easily adapted to suit individual requirements.
on 26 August 2013
The author is clearly very, very clever. Sadly, I am not. Therefore I was somewhat daunted by this book, which makes knitting seem more like a highly scientific form of draughtsmanship.
It is possible that I will edit this review when I have had time to actually try putting the methods into practice... but while there is Ravelry, Knitting Paradise or the Incredible, Custom Fit Raglan Sweater (look it up on Ravelry so you can see what different people have done with it) I doubt whether I shall get around to doing that.
I am sad that I am unlikely to use this book, as the author has obviously gone to an awful lot of trouble. The person who will use it is probably training to be a professional designer, not just a granny who likes to knit without being tied too closely to a pattern.

OK, a month later, and I have upgraded my rating to four stars. This is because I have found that I referred to this book twice for advice on the necklines of different garments I was knitting. The hood was as I expected to do it, straight up from the neck and join at the top, which is what I like, although some critics would say that a rounded, fitted shape is superior. The other was more useful - a roll neck that didn't want to roll right. I frogged it and reknitted it as explained in this book, and it now behaves beautifully.
on 4 March 2016
This book is excellent!! Being in the UK I've never heard of this woman before, but she clearly knows her stuff and is very experienced. She explains everything in a very easy to understand way. Yes there is a lot of maths, but if you want to draft patterns from scratch you have to expect that.. knitting is all about numbers after all! I can never find women's sweater patterns I like, so I find similar ones and change them slightly, but wasn't sure if I was doing it right. The book has helped me with some questions I had, and tricky areas, but also given me the confidence to have a go at drafting one from scratch. Its really straightforward, and contains pretty much any kind of style you'd ever want to draft. Its fairly thick with loads of info and even some free patterns and so very good value for money. I am really looking forward to using it, and can already tell its going to be invaluable.
on 5 July 2014
If you want to alter a pattern or design your own this book is an absolute must have. There is A LOT of math, but it is very cleverly done and brings something new to the table.
on 31 August 2016
I was hoping to learn something here, but the methods described in this book are too simplistic and lead to poor results. "You will rip and redo your pieces over and over" is the promise the book makes... and keeps it! So why would I want to learn how to draft poor fitting patterns, is beyond me. Example pieces that are described as fitted, are in fact simple square loose-hanging garments. I don't need a book to knit a square, thank you very much!
on 5 February 2014
very good value for the money was only for minature christmas tree and worked perfectly frst time, if they don't work this Christmas will buy another set, they did a good job