on 25 September 2017
Very good book promptly delivered. Wish it had USA/UK weight conversion tables
on 15 October 2017
Excellent
TOP 50 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 26 September 2013
Martha Stewart has the most amazing repertoire of recipes, and beside her Pate Brisse I use for pies, her cakes are what I covet. This book and e-book is the definitive book f cakes. I opted to purchase the book format for my daughter, and the ebook for me. I collect cookbooks, but am becoming overwhelmed the amount of cookbooks I own.

Warning: Do Not Read This Book If Hungry

Chocolate cake is my favorite and right dab on the cover is a chocolate cake that will make you salivate. Inside are 246 pages of pictures and recipes, all about cakes. 150 different cakes ! Martha Stewart starts the book with her Introduction about cakes. She then hoes on to give you the Ten Golden Rules For Cakes. If you follow these riles, you should end up with the most delicious tasting and looking cakes.

The cake recipes are broken up into chapters, Loaves, Bundts and Tubes, Coffee Cakes, Single Layers, Cheesecakes, Icebox, Cakes With Fruits, and Layer Cakes (my favorite). She then goes in to discuss ingredients, glazes, frostings, garnishes and finally tips and techniques. This is the most comprehensive of cake cookbooks. The unusual cakes, Chocolate Chip Cookie Icebox Cake and Gingerbread Icebox Cake, who would have thought? They all look delicious.
My favorites are Lemon Pound Cake and Devil's Food Cake with Seven Minute Frosting.

Cakes in my house are indicative of special times. Layer cakes usually take a bit of work, and we have them for birthdays. But, pound cakes and single layer cakes can be made for coffee or tea, or for an anytime dessert. In these busy days, it is easier to stop at a local bakery, but a homemade cake, made by that special person means so much more. I want to make every cake in this cookbook, but alas, that is not practical. However, I can see one in my near future.

Highly Recommended. prisrob 09-26-13
on 20 February 2015
Good Book!
on 1 February 2014
One of the best books from Martha's collection. I love all recipes, pictures and recipes always in detail a great book for any baker.
on 26 April 2014
Good book. Having purchased many baking and cake books over the years, and particularly American books, this is quite interesting and a nice addition to my collcetion. If you were to only buy one american baking/cake book I wouldn't make it this book I would suggest buting BAKING by Dorie Greenspan.
on 24 March 2014
Interesting cakes with lots of different flavours and frostings to inspire the home cook. Easy to follow recipes with lovely photography to inspire you to want to have a go at making the cakes
on 10 January 2014
Beautiful photos and each recipe has a photo to show end product. Recipes are a bit repeated, but it's still a nice book to add to your collection if you enjoy baking. Have only tried one recipe so far and it turned out great. Highly recommended
on 28 October 2013
Loved this book has a great variety of bakes - it covers all occasions - great addition to any kitchen
on 24 November 2014
I want to try all the recipes!!!
All of them are very well explained.
The only if is measures and weights. I'm from Portugal and have to convert it all... should have a converter table.