on 26 December 2014
Engaging and sensitive translation, presented in a superbly produced edition which, in itself, is a pleasure to hold.

There is no 'best' translation of this classic; but of those available, this is certainly among those to be recommended.
on 1 February 2014
Everyone should be given this book to read every seven years of their lives. So they can grow up to be thoughtful, decent, balanced human beings. It's such a shame so many people are dotting around the planet busying themselves with gossip, designer clothes and pretend 'coolness' to impress others and to feel they are better than others, when we are all exactly the same, with just different life stories. Everyone should read this book. If you have doubts, read it and hand it over to all your friends and family.
on 1 April 2011
The Tao is one of the world's masterworks. So attractive that there are more than 100 contemporary translations. The twenty that I have studied vary between the baffled and interpretative, with 'scholarly' footnotes, to the honest and clear minded attempt to reach back through the old Chinese text to as near exact a meaning as possible. The three wise old professors in this attempt very nearly suceed in the impossible. I shall use this edition as a gift to others with no Chinese who love Master Lao Tzu.
on 26 June 2015
My favourite translation was by Brian Browne Walker (which is a lovely lyrical interpretation) and I love the more robust translation by D.C Lau. But this has become my new favourite. Beautiful, elegant and simple.
on 17 July 2015
I have spent 3 months reading this slowly and will probably refer to this and re read for the rest of my life.
on 6 April 2013
This is a remarkable edition.

The translation is my favourite of all English translations I have read, and it is presented beautifully with fantastic and fitting photographs,
however be warned this is not a travel-sized book.. I was hoping to take it on a bike trip but it's much larger than I had in mind, it is quite a big book!

If you are considering buying this, I highly recommend that you do. It is, quite simply, brilliant.
on 29 October 2016
5 stars as expected.

I had a lot of writing in mine and highlighted sentences, however, I did buy a second hand copy and that will always be a gamble.
on 25 February 2014
The trick with this man is the translation.
This translation is the very one for me anyway. If the translator starts adding bits the whole thing comes crashing down.
Including Chinese words, this gives a real flavour of the idea, mysterious, profound and scintillating. Not a "good read" in the sense of a slick package - this needs one a day chewed over, thought through and relished.
on 6 May 2015
This book is a very clear translation of the Tao. I like the way it is presented in numbered short sections, each with a slightly different theme. I also like the visuals, the Chinese symbols in the sidebar, and the texture and colour of the background. This gives it an atmosphere which plain black on white text lacks. But most of all I like the quality of the writing
on 21 October 2015
One of the best translations of the Tao Teh Ching. The Tao Teh Ching is like a huge cake for the spirit, you should take a small slice every day and digest it thoroughly, preferably with a cup of Darjeeling.