VINE VOICEon 29 July 2013
This is a real essential for any AC fan. It lists absolutely everything you can get or collect in the world of Animal Crossing, and it's so easy to cross reference everything. I have to admit, I am a rather sad AC player, and I am thoroughly enjoying this new aspect.... filling in what I 'own' in the book. This book also gives you a code so that you can get your own online version too.
on 15 June 2013
Having previously bought the Animal Crossing: Wild World, Official Players Guide book back in 2006, knowing a new Animal Crossing was coming out I bought the game and guide together. The guide arrived before the game and way before its estimation, very pleased with the shipment and the packaging, the book arrived shiny and looking perfect! The guide comes with a card protect to defend the book from wear-and-tear, which is handy since my old copy of the Wild World guide did start to tear after a lot of usage. The book is small, almost A5 size, which is good since the Wild World guide was full A4, making it a bit bulky to carry around. Information in the guide itself is compressed nicely, and organised very well so that finding a specific topic is easy via a great index and a coloured spine to divide chapters.
My only complaint is that there is no calendar poster! Previous guides had a poster which showed the Animal Crossing events throughout the year, but here it is instead put into the guide itself. But considering how in-depth the guide would be compared to a calendar, this is easily looked over.
In-depth, beautiful, sleek and shiny, this guide is a great companion to the game and a wonderful guide to the awesome world of Animal Crossing.
44 comments| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 June 2013
I bought the Wild World official game guide about 7 years ago and it was excellent. A very useable large sized page with full colour pictures and details if everything. Not so with this New Leaf Official Guide.

Firstly, I was very disappointed with the small sized pages. When you are trying to view a lot of info at once, the smaller page is a hindrance. Secondly, where are all the pictures if the villagers? In WW you could check what each character looked like - apparently not so in NL. Then there is the daft way they have not put the correct amounts each item is worth to sell. I was selling some fish the other day and expected to get quite a tidy sum, if the book was anything to go by. Not so - I only received a fraction of what it had indicated in the guide. I am therefore confused about what each item is worth to sell - which as I am trying to MAKE money, is the only figure I am interested in!

I could keep going on about individual niggles, but there is one overriding bug bear in all of this poor attempt and that is the editing. There are so many errors it is laughable. Pictures of fossils printed twice, but with different names, villagers names or birthdays being written differently throughout the book. It is so unreliable it makes you question if it is worth referring to at all.

I would have thought that the game guide would have improved along with the actual game from when I first purchased Wild World, but compared to the WW game guide this New Leaf game guide is a very sloppy effort. They should have made it the same page size as WW and spent a bit more time on the content and editing. It just feels like a pirated, cheap guide to me.
on 5 July 2013
After waiting weeks for this to dispatch and arrive, I am glad I only paid £8.50 for it as it has gone up to £13! Its a good quality book with dustcover. Although, I would have preferrd it if it was a little bigger.

It tells you the...

-tools
-fossils
-art
-what shops to unlock
-the different neighbours and shop owners
-furniture series
-wallpaper and flooring
-umbrellas, clothes, hairstyles, footwear
-events

...and lots more. But I wish it would say when you can get the type of furniture and house stuff in shops.

Its good and helpful, but I feel as if its missing some important things.
on 12 July 2013
If (like me) you're new (or an old hand) at Animal Crossing, this can be a vital bit kit. For me its like a tour guides book for that distant land. Tells you the most common times of year/seasons for items and creatures etc. The only thing that is really wrong with the book is that (like others have wrote in their reviews) the pricing for items in the shop when you go to sell them is way way off.
EG...one item states it will sell for 40,000......I got 2,400. Its not even in the same ball pond. Major major flaw. That aside, its a great companion in my opinion.
on 10 January 2014
A brilliant companion for the animal crossing game but a let down compared to older animal crossing guides. It no longer tells you how much you get for selling your bugs and fish, only the price you pay for them. Other than that a great guide.
on 12 November 2013
This guide was okay when explaining new leaf, however I found that I still had to google for some things such as a coffee guide for the special guests. Similarly I much prefered the fish and insect guide in the old guide for Animal Crossing Wild World which better showed when they became available in the year.
on 4 August 2013
Simply excellent guide, a lot of good tips and tricks even if you just takes a fast look without reading in detail.
And if you read page after page you'll learn so much of New Leaf you'll astonished. Plus side high quality print and design.
on 1 February 2014
i brought this for myself after buying the game its so helpful when you wanna know how much bugs are worth or what clothes ou can get and house stuff stc helpful if you wanna get your happy home rating up it is what it says it is, and the size is great to its not like other guides where there huge this is much a good size to take with you
on 25 October 2014
The Animal Crossing New Leaf game guide.

This is actually pretty handy for use with Animal Crossing, both item-wise and event-wise. It's got listings of the villagers, their personality types, things they like, birthdays (and charts which help choose items to give them on their birthdays, which coffee to give them when the cafe is built), listings for the special characters, listings for the various events(what they are, what items get offered, etc etc), listings of each category of item (along with tick boxes, so it's pretty handy for keeping track of what fossils/insects/fish etc you've got in the museum, presuming you keep it updated - I use the small round stickers to keep track of my stuff, and it's all been helpful so far!)
There's even a little bit of the basics of the game, and it comes with a code for the digital version!

The perfect compliment to anyone with the game who wants to keep track of the items they have, to know more about villagers, events, etc, and I recommend it!