Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop now Learn More Shop Women's Shop Men's

on 14 December 2012
Running is a very popular pastime - supposed to be good for your body as well as pleasurable (maybe especially for the famed 'runner's high'). However, I am 69 years old and have never found any pleasure in any kind of sport, athletics or physical training - not even when I was young. So why buy this book? Well, someone I trust recommended it - knowing full well it is nothing for me.
And lo and behold! it turns out that the book explains how movement (and you don't even have to run! - just walking is enough) can be good not only for your body, but also for your mind. And I don't want to run, but I do want to have a 69-year old clear mind. It helps; and turns out to be quite pleasurable too. A pity that this book only came along just now, when I am 69. 20 years earlier would have made a great difference in my life.
on 3 February 2013
Suuuuper! So much wisdom! Written in a wonderful light and wise way. I could envision everything he writes about and this makes my running so much more pleasant. And I have started meditate again. Thank you for your messages!!!
on 19 September 2013
To be fair, I only read half of the book, before looking for something interesting to read.

I wanted this to be about a Tibetan lama using mindfulness to overcome the challenges of long distance running. Instead. it reads like any American guy, running a marathon with the help of another marathon runner, a personal trainer, an osteopath and a G.P. all of which appear to run with him.

The mindfulness content reads like any introduction to meditation article you might see in a general magazine. i.e. The body is a magical horse, and the mind is a magical jewel.

My copy has gone to the local charity shop, so if you see it on sale for 50p, give it a go.
on 17 June 2012
The book attracted me originally as I had previously run a lot but stopped due to study and many other commitments. I had also practiced mindfulness and meditation, but just got out of the habit. I had previously run two marathons and several half marathons,but since stopping and developing an under active thyroid have gained an enormous amount of weight,so was not running at all. However because previously we had enormous pleasure running and on a few occasions experienced what it was like to run at a level where it was effortless and at one with myself I wanted the motivation to get back to that place.the book has inspired me to get out running again, it's hard but I'm trying to build the base and improve.I'm also meditating or being mindful daily, it's not easy but nobody said it would be! Have got my old buddy Helen running with me, which is great and she's about to read the book. If you don't need motivating to run but want to get even more out of your running then the book is for you also to know and understand how to notice and appreciate the freedom running can give you enjoy it's great.
22 Comments| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 May 2016
As the name suggests, a book about running and meditation.

Admittedly not an automatic association of topics.

The author is a meditation teacher and spiritual leader, in a Buddhist tradition. He is also a seasoned runner, having completed many marathons.

Here he weaves together the mindset of running and meditation drawing out the parallels. Both need training, discipline and development; you can't pick up your shoes and expect to run a marathon any more than you can expect to sit once and experience insight. Both offer a place where, in due course, you experience both greater stamina and health, and also a feeling of ease and fluidity. Oh, and both are helped by yoga (his words!).

A useful short book on learning meditation through parallels with running. Likely to be of interest to runners, mediators, athletes and yogis - we can all learn with an open mind, even if, like me, running isn't your comfort zone (good news walking meditation is covered as well, although I still search for cycling meditation).

Worth a read.
on 23 September 2013
A very enjoyable read; the style is easy to understand and certainly motivates the reader to want to acheive the benefits of running and meditation. It is also a book unarguably about both running and meditation: it wants you to be just as interested in both exercises.
One critisicm I could level at this short book is that, in terms of meditation, it by no means offers depth of instruction. Aside from some simple exercises described at the beginning of the book there is not much here in the sense of guidance, more of what can be achieved should you follow through and seek guidance. However, the book works wonderfully as a motivational tool in the simplest of its ideas; since reading this book I have began to try and enjoy running for the sake of running, and to read more about the benefits and practice of meditation.

I'm not sure how a zen master or ultra-marathon runner would recieve this book, but if you are in a slump and need some motivation, this book will give you all the tools you need.
on 7 March 2014
This is the book!
This is the book I've been searching for. It's not a book to 'skim read' and forget about. I know this book warrants frequent re-reading to uncover the hidden details of being at one with running. I'm looking forward to the re-reading as much as I did the first.
on 1 May 2013
A very easy to read book, with no complicated theories.
You can really understand the message and identify yourself with the writer.
Now its up to you to follow the advices.
on 21 April 2016
The two thing I like most about this book so far, have to admit only half way through, is it's approach on being gentle on yourself and the importance of being present. "With gentleness we no longer struggle with ourselves". "... (with) only a quarter of their mind present to manage 100 percent of their body". Two ares where my running suffers the most at the moment. I feel like it is giving me little lesson/ thought provoking lines which I am contemplating while running and feeling the benefits.
on 21 April 2016
I found book truly unputdownable. Combining the dual perspectives of a runner and a meditator releases some fantastic insights into what goes on in your head when you're running. And since being relaxed is the best prevention of injury, this is a powerful tool to run more and further. I signed up for my first marathon before I finished the book.