on 14 December 2012
Running is a very popular pastime - supposed to be good for your body as well as pleasurable (maybe especially for the famed 'runner's high'). However, I am 69 years old and have never found any pleasure in any kind of sport, athletics or physical training - not even when I was young. So why buy this book? Well, someone I trust recommended it - knowing full well it is nothing for me.
And lo and behold! it turns out that the book explains how movement (and you don't even have to run! - just walking is enough) can be good not only for your body, but also for your mind. And I don't want to run, but I do want to have a 69-year old clear mind. It helps; and turns out to be quite pleasurable too. A pity that this book only came along just now, when I am 69. 20 years earlier would have made a great difference in my life.
on 23 September 2013
A very enjoyable read; the style is easy to understand and certainly motivates the reader to want to acheive the benefits of running and meditation. It is also a book unarguably about both running and meditation: it wants you to be just as interested in both exercises.
One critisicm I could level at this short book is that, in terms of meditation, it by no means offers depth of instruction. Aside from some simple exercises described at the beginning of the book there is not much here in the sense of guidance, more of what can be achieved should you follow through and seek guidance. However, the book works wonderfully as a motivational tool in the simplest of its ideas; since reading this book I have began to try and enjoy running for the sake of running, and to read more about the benefits and practice of meditation.

I'm not sure how a zen master or ultra-marathon runner would recieve this book, but if you are in a slump and need some motivation, this book will give you all the tools you need.
on 3 February 2013
Suuuuper! So much wisdom! Written in a wonderful light and wise way. I could envision everything he writes about and this makes my running so much more pleasant. And I have started meditate again. Thank you for your messages!!!
on 30 May 2016
As the name suggests, a book about running and meditation.

Admittedly not an automatic association of topics.

The author is a meditation teacher and spiritual leader, in a Buddhist tradition. He is also a seasoned runner, having completed many marathons.

Here he weaves together the mindset of running and meditation drawing out the parallels. Both need training, discipline and development; you can't pick up your shoes and expect to run a marathon any more than you can expect to sit once and experience insight. Both offer a place where, in due course, you experience both greater stamina and health, and also a feeling of ease and fluidity. Oh, and both are helped by yoga (his words!).

A useful short book on learning meditation through parallels with running. Likely to be of interest to runners, mediators, athletes and yogis - we can all learn with an open mind, even if, like me, running isn't your comfort zone (good news walking meditation is covered as well, although I still search for cycling meditation).

Worth a read.
on 11 November 2014
I am a meditation amateur and an experienced runner and I wondered if I could combine the two. Although this book didn't always seem to comply with my attitude of hard training being the most important factor, there really is a lot of very thought provoking information in here. I will certainly read it again and try to incorporate some of its advice into my running and wider life. I would recommended it to any runner with an interest in meditation.
on 19 September 2013
To be fair, I only read half of the book, before looking for something interesting to read.

I wanted this to be about a Tibetan lama using mindfulness to overcome the challenges of long distance running. Instead. it reads like any American guy, running a marathon with the help of another marathon runner, a personal trainer, an osteopath and a G.P. all of which appear to run with him.

The mindfulness content reads like any introduction to meditation article you might see in a general magazine. i.e. The body is a magical horse, and the mind is a magical jewel.

My copy has gone to the local charity shop, so if you see it on sale for 50p, give it a go.
on 17 June 2012
The book attracted me originally as I had previously run a lot but stopped due to study and many other commitments. I had also practiced mindfulness and meditation, but just got out of the habit. I had previously run two marathons and several half marathons,but since stopping and developing an under active thyroid have gained an enormous amount of weight,so was not running at all. However because previously we had enormous pleasure running and on a few occasions experienced what it was like to run at a level where it was effortless and at one with myself I wanted the motivation to get back to that place.the book has inspired me to get out running again, it's hard but I'm trying to build the base and improve.I'm also meditating or being mindful daily, it's not easy but nobody said it would be! Have got my old buddy Helen running with me, which is great and she's about to read the book. If you don't need motivating to run but want to get even more out of your running then the book is for you also to know and understand how to notice and appreciate the freedom running can give you enjoy it's great.
on 17 April 2014
I had read some short books on running and meditation, but they only covered small aspects of the practice. Then I found this in my recommendations!

Sakyong Mipham is a Buddhist monk born of Tibetan parents who not only teaches and guides meditation in his religious practice but is a committed runner who has done a number of marathons etc. His writing style is very relaxed and he does not assume that everyone is an accomplished runner or that meditation is something that comes easily to most people. He ties in the instruction in this book with the four guardians of Shambala and explains how they relate in terms of meditation and running. Whilst I don't claim to be the worlds best runner or meditator, I have understood a great deal of his writing and find that I am becoming able to apply what he is teaching to my own running and meditation practices. The contemplations suggested are also useful when relaxing after yoga sessions or when I have a train journey and want to clear and focus my mind in a positive way.

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this and personally feel that it has helped me with some aspects of my running and also my wellbeing.
on 7 March 2014
This is the book!
This is the book I've been searching for. It's not a book to 'skim read' and forget about. I know this book warrants frequent re-reading to uncover the hidden details of being at one with running. I'm looking forward to the re-reading as much as I did the first.
on 17 January 2014
I was looking forward to learning the process of this running technique unfortunately the book seems to tell you about it and you register your email address to hear more, which I'm still waiting. I was left a little confused, not what ?I was expecting.