TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 29 November 2013
I am always attempting to keep a diary, but after a few entries lose interest (well, I don't really, I just simply do not have time for lengthy entries and philosophical musings every day). I also loved the idea of writing down one good/exciting/interesting thing that happens to you (to keep your spirits up, when you look back at the entries), but never found a right notebook for this (originally, these "thoughts/events" were supposed to go into the jar).
Anyway, I think this 5-year journal potentially fulfills both purposes. It has enough space for a few sentences (I uploaded a couple of the photos of the inside), for answering the question (if you feel like it) and for documenting your own good deed/thought/event.

The journal has a wrapping paper finish, golden-edged pages (which are of high quality thick paper), and measures 4 inches long and 6 inches high, the width is approximately 1.5 inches. So yes, literally fits in the palm of your hand.

I cannot wait to start it (yes, old-fashion-ly wait for the New Year!) Will make great Christmas/New Year present for the right kind of person. You know, there are people who would find this wonderful (I am one of them) and the other who would probably never open it. My first reaction when I opened it was: "OMG, I love this!"
review image review image
22 comments| 96 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 January 2013
I really wanted to start writing a diary, not so much to document my life, but just for something to look back on in years to come. I'm no good at the traditional method of keeping a diary because 1) I never know what to write that isn't the same mundanestuff. 2) I usually always give up within the first week or so.

This 5 year journal is perfect for people like me. It gives you numbered pages but with 5 blank year dates so you can start at any time of the year (just simply turn to that day) and even if you stop and then start again later down the line, it doesn't matter, it'd just mean you might not have the same years written all throughout the journal. For example I started it half way through 2011, stopped after a month or so and then started again 1st January 2013. I did read through some of the answers I'd written 2 years ago, and it was interesting to see how things have changed since then, and also to have a nice reminder of some joyful memories I had forgotten about.

People might not think that they can change within the space of a few short years, but the answers you will write in this journal for each day for 5 years, is proof that you can! It's also a nice way of jotting down some special things you don't want to forget.

Some example questions include:

What is your mission?
What is the last TV show you watced?
Jot down a news story from today.
How much spare change do you have?
What was your favourite day this week?
What's your hairstyle?
Today you wore _____
Where do you think you road is going?
Bad news: sugar coated or straight up?
Who is the last person in your missed calls?
Halloween plans? What's your costume?
What time did you go to bed last night?
Did you meet someone new recently? If so, who was it?
Yes or no: everyone should have a back-up plan.

This journal is a great way of getting to know you, and how you've changed over the years. It asks both insightful and random questions, so every aspect is covered. It also makes a nice memoir of yourself to read in later years or to give to your children etc.

My only problem is that I cant wait to answer the question for the next day!
on 1 August 2016
I've had this diary for almost 2 years now, and I have still managed to fill in everyday. Sometimes I miss a day or two so I go back and fill them in and try and remember how I was feeling on those days. ]
I got this as a gift when I was 14 (I am currently 15) and the thought of me filling this is in until I am 19 (and almost 20) is scary and cool at the same time. It makes me think of where I will be and how i would have changed.
Even now after almost 2 years it is quite cool to look at my answers from last year and see how much I have changed and how some of my answers are exactly the same. I look forward to the next few years, where I can compare multiple years and see how different (or similar) things are.
It's a great way to keep track of who you were a few months/years ago, and a cool way of seeing how you grow and evolve.
I would definitely recommend this product as a birthday or Christmas gift.
on 3 September 2011
Just received this journal, it's so wonderful, just small enough to fit in your bag but big enough to write five years worth of answers in. It's going to be a really nice memory book as well as helping me learn about myself, I'm so excited!! The book itself is really beautiful, and the gold edges really make it something special. Definitely recommend!
on 27 January 2015
I normally don't write reviews but since I've bought 4 by now (one for myself and three for friends), I felt like I probably should. I love this journal. I used to enjoy writing in my diary but in the recent year have felt overwhelmed with the idea of sitting there and documenting everything. Along came this journal, it satisfies the urge to write something even if it is a line or two. I look forward to each question; some are funny, some quirky, and some philosophical but each thought-provoking. There are questions that make you want to get out there and do something, just so you can answer it differently next year and/or because you realise that there are things/experiences missing in your life. It might teach you a thing or two about yourself.

I would highly recommend this journal. I hope you love it as much as I do.
on 5 April 2016
I've always had a lot of trouble keeping a journal, mainly because I never had a lot to say. These questions are great because it means I can see where I've come in the past years. I started at the beginning of last week and I've managed to keep it up this far, which is better than I ever have done before!
A bit pricey and so I think it would have been nice if it came with a ribbon bookmark attached, but nevertheless, I'm really enjoying it!
on 19 April 2013
This 5 year journal is very similar to the "One Line a Day: A Five-Year Memory Book" by Chronicle Books.
I managed to whittle down the vast range of 5 year journals available to these two.

This one won and I am so glad I chose this one.

Both "Q&A" and "One line a day" are very similar, with both being:
- the same size
- the same quality thick pages
- the same quality binding
- the same gold edge finish to the pages
- available to start wherever you are in the year, not just Jan 1st
Besides the cover, the only difference is that the "One Line a Day" book is just that. Blank every day, ready for you to complete.
It has 4 or 5 lines per day, repeated per page, and the year 20___ for you to fill in on each entry.

The reason why I chose Q&A is that it also has this, but it has a random question at the top for you to answer, or not.
On a day that is relatively uneventful, I choose to answer the question rather than write a few lines about my average day.
It makes a change. It breaks the monotony of keeping a diary.
On days that I would rather remember, I decide not to answer the question and jot a few lines on my day.

The cover is similar quality and feel to brown parcel paper and feels like it can withstand a battering.
The pages are a nice creamy off-white colour, and thick and smooth. I would hazard a guess that they are around 100gsm.
You cant see through if writing with regular ballpoint. and the pressure from writing on the page doesn't protrude through either - of course, this depends on how hard you push, but if you push too hard, maybe you need a easier flowing pen.
The lines are tight though, about 4mm. You may need to learn to write real small, but due to the size of the book, I am very happy to adapt my writing since I find the book to be a perfect size.
It will not take up too much room in the bag when I travel, or even on my bedside table.

It feels like it will last 5 years or more.
I dont plan on throwing it around the room to test its sturdiness but it feels like it would survive an accidental drop of two.

The label on the back cover was easily removable, and has revealed a blank back cover.
The same pattern and frame as the front cover, just blank.
I'm thinking of putting an encapsulated photo of my family there...
Or maybe an ongoing doodle...
Or just waiting for inspiration for something else to go there.
Its a nicely framed space so it would be a shame to waste the frame!

I absolutely love this journal.
If I had to pick a negative, it would be that it could do with a nice black ribbon marker so I know what page I am up to.
There is currently nothing that comes with the journal. Good job I have plenty of bookmarks.
on 3 February 2016
I think this is such a cute, ideal little book. It is small meaning you can carry it around with you. I think it is the perfect idea as in five years time you can look back and see what a difference there has been. I love it!
on 10 August 2011
Having started this only recently, I have yet to experience a meet in years to reflect on earlier answers but I can tell that when I do, it will be fascinating. The questions range from silly to complicated to philosophical. I really enjoy answering it everyday and look forward to reading back on the answers in the future!

In regards to the actual physical aspects, it was a lot smaller than expected - I thought it was going to be huge - but it certainly has enough room to write in it and it is really great quality paper with a hard back.

I also enjoy how you fill in the year and you can start at any time you wish.
on 8 July 2016
I wanted this journal long time ago. Bought one for my boyfriend and then one for myself. Especially good of you want to write something and express your fillings and thoughts but don't know where to start from.