Customer reviews

on 27 June 2014
quick delivery well recommended
on 17 August 2010
I will be honest,ever since I was about 16 I was a fan of Belinda Carlisle.I guess it was that infactuation scenario for a teenager,but at the time I did buy all her music,posters etc.So once her book came out it was a definate purchase for me.Yes I had read in the papers all about her past problems during 'The Go Gos',but I guess at 16/17/18 you believe someone when they say they have changed.So to read what kind of life you has been through and put a few people through trouble was a bit of a shock,however as she has managed to finally find peace with herself the book is really a great journey with a troubled soul.So all in all I really did enjoy the book even if I was cringing a bit trying to help her out.As a fan (and I still am),I would recommend it to other fans and non fans alike,the world of fame comes at a price.
on 28 September 2013
Having been a Belinda fan for 26 years, it was with some trepidation that I came to read this book. Having read one or two so- called autobiographies in the past, I thought that this may be the same old drivel - how wrong I was.
I could not put the book down once I had started to read it. What soul searching Belinda must have gone through to put pen to paper, and open herself up in this way. She has my complete admiration and respect for baring her soul so openly.
And I am so pleased for her and her family that after all these years of torture, she has now found peace and is a stronger and better person for it. We could all do with taking one or two lessons form this truly inspiring lady.
I will be seeing Belinda in concert force fourth time next may in Birmingham, and I will sing even louder to celebrate the person that she has become
on 27 July 2010
Belinda Carlisle's days with The Go Go's (the first 1/3 of the book) are a really entertaining read...their party days on the Sunset Strip are an eye-opener, as is an anecdote about going to clubs with a little vial of blood to pour into an unsuspecting stranger's drink (yech!!). She was a wild child in the late 70s, that's for sure.

However...the party days (and the book) become less fun as they continue. When cocaine use gives way to insane addiction, and her unflattering self-image exacerbates her depression, Carlisle refuses to link the two, and refuses to confront her issues. This goes on, seemingly forever. Her honesty in the book is commendable, but spending the last 2/3 of the book with this heavy, dark cloud hanging over it is as frustrating as trying to reason with an addict. You want her to pull through, and eventually, of course, she does.

Despite her honesty on the subject of drugs, some of the information (the sex, for one) has been completely glossed over, likely to spare the embarrassment of her husband and child. But she was a Go Go, and there's no way she forewent-went all those years while she was abusing drugs and hanging out in clubs. The culpability of the other Go Gos is also absent here...out of respect for Jane, Kathy, Charlotte and Gina, I guess, she does not veer terribly far into their tantrums or drug use and sticks mainly to her own.

The music is largely not described, which makes sense to some degree, since Carlisle wrote only a bit of it and played instruments on none of it. It's interesting to ponder that with Carlisle's solo career, she *was* the product being sold more so than the songs.

Collaborations with Bangles Vicki Peterson and Susanna Hoffs are barely given any text...and her stint on "Dancing With The Stars" is given one paragraph (and her dance partner, Jonathan, is not even mentioned). But she does give some space to collaborations with Brian Wilson and George Harrison.

So is it an interesting read? For the most part, it really is. But I can't give this book five stars or even four. For all of her new resolve, Carlisle's book contains a fair amount of wallowing and, yeah, whining. As an honest portrayal of her life, it's probably pretty dead-on...but as an entertainment, or a tale of inspiration full of insights and answers, it unfortunately falls a little flat.
on 24 August 2015
I have been a fan of Belinda's since first hearing 'Heaven is a Place on Earth' when I was a slip of a thing. From that moment I followed her career and bought all her music. Therefore, when I found out she had released a book about her life I just had to have it. Upon reading it I was blown away by her honesty which was stripped bare for all to read. Following her through her highs and lows this book makes you realise that she is a regular person just like you and I, with the same hopes, dreams and fears. I have always admired her, as she comes across as a strong woman, but after reading this book I admire her even more. It is a roller coaster ride of a book and will have you gripped from start to finish. Belinda is an inspiration to me. She doesn't sugar coat her life in anyway; she is refreshingly honest, which I think took a lot of guts. I hope in the future there is a volume two of her Memoirs, so we can learn more about Belinda's travels and her spiritual awakening.

If you are a fan of Belinda or just a fan of music you'd be a fool not to read this book. I didn't want it to end. Thank you Belinda for such an honest insight into your life.
on 22 April 2014
Being a fan of Belinda's for over 25 years now I was very intrigued to read this, especially to hear some of her thoughts and reflections and to see how her career developed in depth and the thought and processes behind her work. The book is well written, very honest and witty. I must admit that it was not at all what I thought it would be, and left me genuinely touched, saddened and a little shocked. It is fair to say Belinda has led a vivid, and often turbulent life. Though I am glad she has finally found peace and has got to the place she is at. Those looking for loads of crazy stories of what the Go-go's did may be dissapointed, and my only dissapointment was that I felt the talk about her albums was a little brief, I would have loved to hear more about the inspirations , thoughts and feelings behind some of the songs but in fairness that's just me.

I feel that this is a well written and very touching story that would appeal to almost anyone, regardless of whether they are a fan of Belinda or not.
on 14 February 2015
This is a heck of a story of a truly great singer. Very candid, and a miracle Belinda is still with us today. It is however short of a few decent photographs. I found it almost impossible to put it down.
on 2 April 2014
This book was a real easy interesting read. Covers Belinda's life from the beginning through the music and drug addition to her family life. I really enjoyed the book and the insight into her life.
on 7 November 2014
Brilliant. Great woman and great book to match all her music
on 5 September 2014
Like most things about her, real class