Customer reviews

on 17 February 2013
This is mostly a lovely book - the circles are really interesting/pretty/clever and even if I didn't knit any, it would be a pleasure to look at.
The author uses different knitting methods - in the round on DPNs and circular needles, and joy of joys quite a few are done on straight needles - both bottom to top and short rows.
It has 4 stars because a lot of the book is taken up with fashion uses for the circles and I am sorry but I think they are really awful - just my opinion.
I love the book, though; I already have a circle on my straight needles to use as a centrepiece for a table and it is looking good....
on 2 February 2013
Lovely to have a real hardback book. Nicely produced and the patterns are very easy to follow. i have made a few of the circles and appreciate the thought that has gone into the patterns and the design elements contained in them. Would recommend this book to all knitters wanting a fresh approach to patterns.
on 9 August 2012
I had this book on pre-order as soon as notification came out, so I was thrilled to finally see it arrive.

Having read the other reviews, I can appreciate where those who are 'unimpressed' are coming from. However, I sense that they were hoping for a huge book of designs to make and wear, where I personally see this as more of a directory with a few patterns inserted to give you ideas to design and put together your own stuff, which I consider is a strong part of Nicky Epsteins intentions with all of her books - emphasis to empower the reader to explore their own potential. Nicky never pretends that her patterns are meant to impress everyone, simply an idea to begin and recommendations for variations always available. I suspect that its highly possible that Epstein fans who have said they are dissapointed in this book have now got to the point where they expect her to write purely for them as "advanced Epsteiners" instead of continuing to make her work available to all levels of knitter.

If you already have a lot of patterns which give you knitted circular stitches, then perhaps you will not find enough new stuff here to excite you. However, I don't, so I'm thrilled to have a starting point through to advanced technique for knitted circles on stitch directory level in contrast to the more traditional expectation of needing to crochet all spirals and circles. In Europe and the Eastern Block, it is very on trend and haute couture to have outfits of the style in this book - evening wear and classy, and I have many books written in russian for the crochet versions and simply use the charts and photographs to interpret how to make them since I don't speak the language. By starting out with the basic designs and making up your own outfits following Nicky's recommendations means you'll have something unique and copyright free.

I am an avid Nicky Epstein fan, however I don't and won't own every single one of her books as I do recognise what I'm expecting to get out of it first.
In thinking about whether to purchase this book, think first about what you actually want it to give you. If you want a directory of knitted circular/spiral stitches and techniques for beginners through to advanced, with information how to integrate into a garment or blanket etc., then this book is for you. If you are looking for a book of patterns to work through without using your own imagination, then don't buy it.

Hope this helps.
on 6 August 2012
This is my birthday present, which I've had early and I have to say I LOVE IT. Yes, some of the projects are not exactly to my taste, but it gives you ideas, which in my opinion is what alot of patterns are about.

I intend to look at this lady's other books now!
on 11 November 2012
This is one of the best books that I have ever brought. Being a knitter of 50 years I though that there was little left to learn how wrong was I. It not only gives clear instructions but the idea's inspired me to create new items based on circles myself. Can not recommend this book highly enough
on 4 August 2012
Knitting in Circles

Such fantastic designs and so inspiring, I can't wait to try them out. And some wacky projects as well;-)Keep it up Nicky. From an experienced and somewhat 'addicted knitter:-)'
on 4 August 2012
fab. Very creative. Can't wait to make my own afghan whilst learning different techniques. A circular version of the blocks book.
on 13 December 2012
The book Knitting in circles covered everything I required. This is a very good referance book I can dip into at any time
on 9 February 2013
I bought this, together with Knitting block by block. They are wonderfully creative books that would grace any coffee table. However, they are designed to bring ordinary knitting into the realms of proper creativity. I defy anyone not to improve their knitting with either of them.
on 11 April 2015
Oh this book is truly inspirational. Each collection by Nicky Epstein is well thought out and beautifully illustrated,in a clear and concise manner. There is something here for all knitters who want to up their game. This book gives you the chance to create some truly beautiful pieces of work,that will be a joy to do then admire afterwards. For far too long knitting has been regarded as a hobby for old women,who produce nothing more than ill fitting sweaters and unwanted scarves. This book helps to banish this image,and moves knitting forward into the twenty first century where it belongs,the only problem for me was not being able to choose which piece to start first.Any knitter needs this book for their knitting library.