on 26 January 2017
Reasonably interesting while the author is describing various presidents and what they and their families were like as clients, but later on the book just descends in to a chapters-long rant about magnetometers and poor management. Right at the end, he thanks one of the managers he had slated so badly; all but calls the guy a spineless jerk and then thanks him. Still, it's Washington DC, so...
on 2 April 2017
I hoped this would be an insight into the work of the Secret Service but it is largely just gossipy (and, one suspects, heavily embellished over the years) anecdotes about the more unusual habits and activities of successive presidents.

There is no detail about the role of agents or how they worked with their principle, just chapter after chapter of tabloidy stories.
on 10 June 2015
There is a secret world behind the gates of the White House and the Secret Service see it all.
The agents have a hard job made all the harder by some of the people they try to protect.
Both Bush presidents and Regan come out top of the presidents in how they treated the agents looking after them coming over as good guys.
Would recommend
on 14 April 2011
It took me a long time to read this book as I kept putting it to one side when I reached a boring bit about budgets or training. What I really enjoyed were the stories about what the presidents and their families were like. I think everyone probably knows something about John Kennedy and Nixon but how interesting to learn that Carter carried an empty bag and got into the office really early only to go to sleep again, and interesting to find that the Bush family were some of the nicest.
One person found this helpful
on 22 March 2014
This is not a great book, but I was glad I read it. It is not the Secret Service that held my interest, but the fascinating insights into the characters of the Presidents and their wives. I read it in one sitting and much enjoyed it. I would have give a higher score, but reflected that, in the universe of literature, there is so much great work that I could not put this up there with them. But I thoroughly enjoyed it.
on 17 September 2017
Very interesting insight to the presidential world, I wonder if anyone has written a similar book about our politicians?
on 6 February 2011
The best way to describe this book is that it's a good book to take on holiday (which is where I read it). It tends to get a bit repetitive with the author constantly trying to make the point that budget cuts within SS will eventually result in the US president being assassinated. Otherwise it's a "light" read into the antics that the "world most powerful" men get up to in their private lives and the people who keep their mouths shut (or not!) about the things they witness.
on 19 September 2016
Bought this book for my Dad as was on his wish list for presents. A very enjoyable read (according to my Dad)
on 4 April 2016
Hype,Hype. reads like a Scanda lMagazine which I suppose is why we buy it and similar exposes. Superficial in the extreme.
on 25 April 2016
Some interesting details on First Families but degenerates into a rant on the shortcomings of the Secret Service management