Customer reviews

Bend the Rules with Fabric
Format: Paperback|Change

on 24 March 2010
I bought this book having thoroughly enjoyed her previous 'Bend the Rules Sewing', and like it. It was more than I expected it to be, in that here we have projects that paint your own fabric, and uses mixed media as well as embroidery, applique,and sewing. It is just the next stage I was looking for, after using bought, thrifted and re-cycled items in my sewing. Deffo worth the amount of money it costs, and it can be a launch pad for other ideas. Which is, I think, Amy's reason behind it.
on 8 October 2009
I've wanted to explore printing and decorating fabric for a while now, so when I saw this book on Amazon and read the blurb I was excited, thinking it was going to open up a world of new techniques. I've only had a chance to look through the book for a few minutes but I'm immediately disappointed - every project that caught my eye requires special equipment or supplies to be bought (and I already have a very extensive collection of craft supplies) - from entire screen printing set-ups (I can work out without a book that I could screen print shirts using one of these kits - I thought I'd be shown alternatives to expensive outlays) to dyes and other potions that I'm not able to find a UK supplier for. A lot of projects are very straightforward, in that I could have thought them up myself - appliqueing a piece of fabric onto a top? Using a bleach pen to draw a pattern on fabric? That's Crafts 101 as far as I'm concerned.

I will have another thorough look through the book to give it a proper chance, but right now I'm not thrilled with it. A disappointment.
22 Comments| 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse