on 13 January 2014
This is a great book but the Kindle version is terrible. The formatting is so bad that often you can't see half of the page! I'm really unimpressed with the quality of the Kindle version, especially considering it cost me money and I'm unable to read all of it!
on 24 June 2016
Jillian's book is very in-depth but I understood most of the descriptions of how each hormone works and how the body reacts to all food types. It is very interesting and obviously we take our bodies for granted but it is fascinating to learn more about how we build or destroy! In summary it is beneficial and nutritious to eat: fruit, vegetables, meat, eggs, raw nuts, seeds, legumes, allium, dairy and whole grains in moderation. Eat organic as much as you can (if it's not too pricey!). More importantly don't eat: white bread, white rice, white pasta, or any refined white flour products and no sugary food - these are NOT needed in the body!
on 22 February 2013
I was really surprised at how much I didn't know about food it's effect on hormonal balance.
Great read, Jillian Michaels style of writing is entertaining. It is very american in part, but good common sense approach to eating better and controlling your hormones and in turn your weight through your diet and lifestyle. I also have the cook book, which is fabulous - even my husband likes the recipies!
on 1 August 2016
Having bought Jillian's DVDs and got really good results (better than following any other diet plan/exercise regime) I figured I'd buy this book as an addition. The first part of the book includes some autobiographical parts to showcase how Jillian has gone through the same issues as everyone else, learning the hard way so you don't have to. The book was really informative and really highlighted my ignorance in terms of carbs. I thought any carbohydrates were part of the food pyramid. Now I realise how silly that is! Jillian teaches you about nutrition, the facts, including the big one for me; that whole grains are good, whilst refined carbs are bad. It's a great book for any beginner to nutrition, but I would highly recommend buying it even if you've read other diet books because this book is about having a balanced diet and nothing extreme.
on 2 February 2014
Another great book from Jillian Michaels. This is no picture book people ! It's actually quite a complex look in to how our bodies work and how different foods affect our metabolic (fat burning rates) rates. It discusses different body types and what foods to eat to burn fat and how many calories to consume. A good book but be prepared to read and study !
on 20 October 2013
I bought this book 3 years ago when I couldn't fit into a uniform and bought some scales to see the real damage. I had peaked at 15 stone 10 having been 10 st 6 at 21: not a good position to be in having given up cigarettes about 5 times. I read this book in a weekend and implemented the key tenants immediately and started her work out plan. I lost a stone in the first month and more steadily over the next 3 years. I have lost 3 stone of fat and put on a stone of muscle since. This a book that essentially teaches us when and why to eat certain foods. E.g pasta at lunch time not at night, why diet drinks are just as bad as full fat ones and why 8 hours of sleep is essential and caffeine isn't and why sleep and exercise play such an important part in our lifes. In essence, this book reshaped my life - It is not a diet book, it is so much more than that
on 9 February 2016
I love Jillian Michaels as a fitness instructor, and know I need to radically change my diet for life. This is why I purchased this book. Although it does mention the benefits of exercise in passing, it is not an exercise book in any way shape or form.

The first section of this book explains clearly and in easy to understand language how your metabolism, endocrine system, digestion and hormones all should interact with each other. It then sets out how our own actions, environment, and quality and type of food can disrupt this finely tuned system; causing the problems that made us all look at this book - weight gain, spots, headaches, lethargy etc. It list the differences between how certain hormones have differing effects on males and females.

The second sections deals with eliminating the things that have made our metabolism to go out of kilter. Again actions, environment and diet. She advocates throwing everything away that does not fit her ideal. She gives the science and rationale to each item, chemical or food to be eliminated. Whilst I agree with the reasoning - I could not afford to do this! I would rather use up what I had already purchased and then buy those that are recommended.

The third section covers how to incorporate all that you learned in section one into your life. Give up smoking, alcohol in moderation, clean environment and diet, along with intense exercise. Not rocket science! It gives a 2 week diet and shopping plan to follow her advice to the letter, along with some recipes. The recipes all feed 4 and use cup measurements.

The parts of this book relating to products and food are very Americanised. I had not heard of and did not know what some of the brands, products and food items were. Although she references a lot of 'useful' websites - these are American. I purchased the hard back copy and the last 20+ pages are references to research etc.

This book is written in a very amusing and chatty style as though the author totally understands you and why you have let your metabolism get as bad as it has. It uses a lot of scientific names to explain the biology of what is happening in your body, but this is easy to understand as it is explained well and doesn't go into unnecessary depth. As always with Jillian, she has an 'All or nothing' approach, particularly to removal of foods and chemical toxins that she considers bad. Overall I thoroughly recommend this book - I read it in a day as it kept me engrossed. It has definitely inspired me to change my diet and eat cleaner overall. I will use it as a reference point to adapting my lifestyle change. I have only given 4 stars because of the Americanisms and excessive referencing.
on 20 December 2011
Much as I love the Biggest Loser as an entertaining show, I wasn't really expecting this book to be any good and bought it off the back of the reviews. I definitely was not hoping for shoddy 'Dr' Gillian McKeith style science.

HOwever I was really pleasantly surprised. I had bought it because of recurring issues with reproductive hormones which the doctors seem to be at a loss with, if a contraceptive pill or anti-depressant doesn't change it, they don't seem to know what else to look at. So I am doing some reading.

What I liked about it was that it explained the biological mechanisms behind the advice. Some people might not like that level of detail if they are looking for essentially a diet book, but for me it is essential to know why someone is suggesting something. I am married to a bio-medic and he's very skeptical of this sort of thing. However when I have asked him to look at certain parts of the book he has agreed that the mechanisms she describes are as he understands. As he doesn't work in endocrinology I am not trying to suggest that therefore he is endorsing all the science in it and some of the information about how the hormones interact with each other was new to him but we have both found it really interesting.

Gillian assumes that your main reason for reading is likely to be weight loss and general lack of well-being so concentrates on those hormones which have an effect on the parts of metabolism which may affect weight, but doesn't narrowly stick to those. Instead she explains how a raft of them interdepend, interact and interfere with each other, and then how your actions can tip one or two over the edge and set off a chain reaction which goes way beyond the initial effect.

The recommendations she gives are fairly simple and global, and there are no quick fixes for the short-cut seeker. In essence it is an anti-diet book, in the sense of warning against diet plans which cut out food groups or rely on diet foods. It's essentially wholefoods in the right proportions at the right times. But firstly it is useful to know why you're doing that, and secondly there ARE some specifics which are easy to apply as rules. Such as not eating carbs within an hour or two of going to sleep because the raised insulin needed to deal with them can interfere with a nocturnal pulse of Human Growth Hormone, the biggest shot we get in a day. Or how hormone levels over the course of a day can inform how best to spread your intake of food over the day to get the maximum benefit. Or why you just shouldn't ever (EVER) drink diet drinks. (Really).

There is so much general "clear the crap out, eat right, sleep more and exercise more" advice out there but sometimes it's hard to know why exactly you should be doing it and whether it will really make a difference. This book gave me good logical reasons to follow a certain path, and amazingly gave my scientifically skeptical, chocaholic husband enough evidence convince him to volunteer to join me.
33 Comments| 89 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 April 2014
I liked this book. The interaction between hormones, thyroid, etc. etc. was really interesting and I agree with the overall message - eat whole foods, get enough sleep, try not to stress. There are contradictions; cans/tins of food are unhealthy due to plastic inner coating, but the recipes call for tinned items. Don't eat it if it doesn't have a mother or grow out of the ground, but again, dairy items and tortilla wraps are in recipes, as is ???turkey sausage???, crackers, mustard, caesar salad dressing, branded breads & cereals. Albacore tuna is OK despite mercury warnings, while other fish are dangerous??? These points had me perplexed, however the book overall is great. I love how she mentions Armour for hypothyroidism.
on 17 August 2013
Thought this book would be very Americanised and products would be different. But it was very informative. And have applied many of jillians ideas to my life and I have felt a lot better.