Format: Paperback|Change

I love "The Onion" and religiously visit the site every week and buy the books every year, but this one was a struggle. These "annuals" are always a mixed bag due to their nature so each one has parts I skip, but this one had more such sections than any of the others I own. When it is good it is very good indeed, but with this volume the chaff far outweighs the wheat. Maybe this is why they've not released one of these books this year and have published the (superb) "Our Dumb World" atlas instead?

If you're looking for an "Onion" book, buy "Our Dumb Century" instead of this.
on 19 October 2010
The Onion are the masters of cliche-nailing observation. They somehow show there's no point to taking anything seriously whatsoever. They are subtly laughing at us all trying our best to deal with our situations. In the UK Viz is the closest comparison with its surreal and cryptic newspaper parodies. There's a piece for everyone somewhere in here that'll make you go, "I know that guy!" or "That happened to me!" Kind of a sophisticated super-sized bathroom-reading book, but too large. A few volumes exist, I pasted this review in to each through laziness.