on 21 August 2005
The Inheritance trilogy consists of Eragon, Eldest, Empire.
Read Eragon first, you will not understand Eldest, as it is filled with infomation and parts referring to the 1st book, Eragon.
Despite critics literally screaming "this is a weak copy of the LOTR trilogy!", these 2 (and hopefully 3) books are entertaining, absorbing, and serious fantasy. The unfortunate thing about these 2 books is that they do take a lot of influence from the LOTR trilogy. From the characters (Orcs) to the writing style (similar type of writing, and so on). But, as I said in my 'Eragon' review, no-one intentionally tries to copy, resemble, or poke fun at another book, unless the author is writing a parody.
Eragon seemed a little slow and dreamy at the beginning, but Eldest thrusts you into the action the moment you start. In Eldest, you follow the stories of two people, Eragon Shadeslayer, the slayer of Durza and rider of Saphira, and Roran Garrowsen, the uncle of Eragon. Eragon decides to travel to the land of the elves (ellesmera) to train his magic and swordsmanship. But along the way there is plenty of danger, magic, fights, sarcasm, and of course, adventure. Far away, Roran must defend Carvahall from Ra'Zac and orcs who invade almost everyday, trying to find, or even collect infomation about Eragon or Roran.
The one noticable difference between Eragon and Eldest is that Poalini's writing style has changed again. His writing has become noticeably more mature and darker, depicting scenes of evil more powerfully. In Eldest, Eragon is more like a man on a mission, rather than a teenager who is trying to find a certain area. There are less carefree moments for Eragon, and more 'I must follow my destiny' determination. This is by far a good thing for me, but for younger and less mature readers it might be a bad thing, considering that the pace of the book has dropped quite sharply. The Roran-Eragon switch every 40 something pages keeps you from concentrating on both characters.
Eldest is even longer than the already big Eragon (500 something pages, while Eldest is around 700 pages) I also find it increadible that Eldest retained the quality of Eragon, even though it is a sequel to a highly successful book. Though darker, more mature, longer, and slower-paced, Eldest still retains whatever qualities that Eragon has, while adding more details and information about Alagaesia. A fantastic book, even more so than Eragon.
If you have read Eragon, and not read Eldest, buy it and read it, if you have read none, buy both, and read.
44 comments| 62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 April 2008
I personally liked this book even better than the first, Eragon, which has been one of my definite favourites. The plot is engaging, fast moving and origional with fantasy brought to life as though reality. The characters are also brought to life - as complex individuals - and the book is difficult to put down. The subtlety in many places also makes Eldest a good read for the second or even third time, as some moments just have to be re-experienced, and you also notice things you missed before. Revealing answers are found to some of the questions posed in Eragon, whilst leaving others to be explained in the next book, Brisinger. There is also a fantastic twist at the end of Eldest, which although very surprising is utterly believable as it fits in perfectly with the rest of the story. Overall, these books are a must-read; not to be missed!
on 1 April 2007
"Eldest", second book in Christopher Paolini's "Inheritance" triology, picks up where "Eragon" ended, and allows us to know what is going to happen with Eragon, Saphira and their friends, and what they will need to do in order to survive the wrath of king Galbatorix. If you haven't read the first book in the series, please do so before tackling this one. You can understand what happens in "Eldest" without having read "Eragon", but I think you will not enjoy what happens half as much.

Now, my opinion regarding "Eldest". Truth to be told, I loved the first book in the series, but I liked this one even more. From my point of view, Paolini manages to make Eragon's world more believable, without letting the magic go. That doesn't mean that this book is perfect, or that it doesn't have some scenes that are somewhat slow. All the same, I think it deserves 5 stars because it is the kind of book you cannot stop reading once you start, the kind of book that makes you wish you could read the final book of the triology instead of having to wait for it.

What is new in "Eldest", then? Well, Eragon has to travel to Ellesmera (the land of the Elves), in order to continue his training as a dragon raider. Along the way he will meet some new friends and foes, and discover new information about people he already knew. Also, the author introduces an alternative point of view in the story, that of Roran, Eragon's cousin. Roran and Eragon are far from each other, and must to face different challenges and enemies, but they have something in common: some chapters of "Eldest" will be about Eragon's adventures, and others about what is happening to Roran and his followers. As if that were not enough, we will discover two more dragon riders, and learn about what happened to Murtagh and Eragon's mother.

Of course, that are just some of the things you will find in "Eldest". The more important reason to read it is the opportunity to immerse you once again in the adventures of Eragon and Saphira, and become a dragon rider yourself, if only for a few hours. Highly recommended !

Belen Alcat

PS: To Christopher Paulini --> Please hurry up with the last book in this triology, I really want to know what happens next :)
on 9 May 2007
Don't get me wrong. I think this trilogy is excellent. But I have notice a VERY similar plot between this and... Star Wars! Yes, this story is Star Wars in a Lord of the Rings world! And it's really good! I mean think about it: Luke Skywalker lives with his uncle on a farm... So does Eragon! Luke gets a inherits a blue lightsaber and has to carry on an ancient culture... Eragon gets a blue dragon and carries on the legacy of the dragon riders! And it goes on. I'm not going to give it all though because there are some that haven't seen Star Wars (i'm not joking) and I dont want to spoil this book for them. Because although it has some major similarities it's still a great story that needs to be read.
on 24 July 2006
Once i read Eragon i thought that the second book wouldn't be as good, but was i wrong!

The way the book was written with the interwebbing of the two lives of Eragon and Roran was a superb idea.

There are extracts from the book that are purely sublime, i read them over and over again.

I think in comparison to the first one it is better overall especially the ending, not that i wanted it to finish.

I think that if you follow that pattern of the books they keep getting better, so the third book should be the best yet.
VINE VOICEon 17 April 2007
I read an awful lot of fantasy, in fact almost nothing else. I enjoyed this book very much.

However I feel that it has slowed down a lot compared with Eragon, the first book in the trilogy. Eragon spends most of his time learning to be a dragon rider but all is not lost, his brother provides plenty of action in the mean time.

I have to say that Christopher Paolini is a brilliant writer, his story is equal to most other fantasy writers and better than many much older than he is.

When is the last in the series coming out? I want it.
on 30 August 2005
In my review of Eragon I stated that although deriative and with its fair share of flaws (notably with characterisation and dialogue) I expressed hope for the sequel. Although the writing is taking a turn for the better, unfortunately the plot, isn't.
The premise of the plot is fair enough. Eragon must journey to elven kingdom to hone his skills as a Dragon Rider and as a swordsmen, meeting with the king of the elves no less. Meanwhile his doughty companion Murtagh has been kidnapped, thus Arya the elf tries to save him from the evil king of the empire, Galbatorix (anyone else having problems remembering a few of these names?). As well, Eragon's cousin, Roran, is raising an army against the empire and his evil servants Ra'zac (say it from the back of your throat and people think you're puking up!).
The problem is, as with many novels, is the execution. The previous book was large but followed one journey and thus there wasn't much to concentrate on. Here with the many branching paths, he falls flat on his face trying to create too many things happening at once - it's bewildering, even for an experienced fantasy reader. Roran's passages are well done and concise but Eragon's are full of flowery florid phrases that sound as though he's lifted them from Tolkein and changed them round a bit. The book could have easily been trimmed by 200 pages and it would have been a leaner novel as a result.
Some more gripes. The dialogue is again poor. Example. When one major character lies dying it is conveyed in such a tedious manner I found myself drumming my fingers, such was the hammy attempt to draw sympathy. The character says, "I have last words. protect the Varden from the Empire." First off, when you're dying, you wouldn't bother to say I have last words. And when he finally falls off his perch someone runs in and asks if he has last words.
It's not all bad. It's a testamount to Paolini's ability that he can make me read a book this epic length, despite his attempt to conceal it. But the plot wasn't just linear and signposted; the next 'twist' could be seen from the Kuiper belt. The end attempts a dark bloody cliffhanger and almost succeeds was is it not for a dreadfully melodramatic 'Star Wars Luke-I am your father' moment (signposted in the LAST book for crying out loud). And also I have a sneaky suspicion a lot of things will be happily resolved in the finaly installment. Here's hoping I'm proved wrong. Two stars.
on 13 October 2006
My daughter first read Eragon, she told me about it and I had to read it too. I found I could not put it down and once finished had to immediately purchase Eldest. I found Eragon a little disappointing in the end as it had so many unanswered questions, but Eldest answered all of those and more!!! Really looking forward to the forthcoming film in December 06 and of course the final book of the trilogy.
on 27 August 2016
The Eragon series is really a very enjoyable read. The fantasy relm and characters are believable and the plot is credible. I took a long time choosing these books after having finished the Enchantress series which I also though was a stunning set of books.
on 6 February 2016
Best Book Ever
I can't name a better book than this (that is a huge compliment I have read practically a million books)
The story is so full of adventure a wonderful fantasy tale
Ends on a huge cliff Bandar
LOVED IT😎😃😁😊😉