on 9 December 2012
I became interested in Julia Child after watching the movie "Julie & Julia" I became more interested in in Julia Child, when I saw that there was going to be a new book about the famous chef, I was really happy. After coming a cross of a copy on Audio book at my local library, I took it to work and settle down at my desk for a good read and I was not let down.
"Dearie: The Remarkable Life of Julia Child" is a great book. Author Bob Spitz take the reader from the Julia earlier days of Pasadena to her fun times of Smith College to wartime Washington and beyond. But when Julia and her husband land in France, that is where the story really begins. Julia begins her discover her life long love passion with French Food. I found it surprising that even though Julia found fame (not the level that today chef enjoy) she never lost her common sense, as many would have done.
The audio book is 20 disc long and is read by Kimberly Farr, who does a great job.
Overall,"Dearie:The Remarkable Life of Julia Child" is a book that should not be missed by any of her fans.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 22 November 2012
Others have already made most of the key points so I will limit my comments to these:

1. Bob Spitz covers almost all of the information that clearly indicates what a "remarkable" life Julia CHild lived. I wish he had revealed more of what she thought about the major developments in her and her husband's career. For example, did she experience any head-snapping revelations about book publishing and television production?

2. I wish he had provided a bit more information about what others who knew her best thought of her as a friend, a chef, an entertainer, a business associate, an interviewee, etc.

3. Finally, I think there are passages in the book when he seems (at least to me) to lose his objectivity. With rare exception, celebrities as much loved and admired as Julia Child certainly was have defining characteristics, only some of which are admirable. I think he sometimes gives her a pass.

All that said, I am grateful to know more about her.
on 12 January 2014
The story of Julia Child's life is told at considerable length and no doubt after a great deal of research . One feels that the book could have done with some editing - a lot of the detail of her early life could have been pruned rather than cut . The style of the author also grates from time to time - there is a considerable overuse of what are often weak metaphors and their use is also repetitive (something being catnip is used five or six times ) .

That said there is a great deal of very interesting detail and the indomitable personality of the subject is well caught . Worth buying and reading but it could have been so much better .
on 23 March 2015
I didn't get beyond 10%. Long-winded and tedious. Probably a bad choice of book for me to read, but it was a book club choice. I may have found it more interesting if I knew something about Julia Childs. I found lots of references to people / businesses / TV shows that a US audience would probably have appreciated much more than me.
on 5 January 2014
Read Julia's own book "My life in France" . This one I found dreary, boring & it makes very heavy going of a remarkable story.