on 23 November 2009
A thorough, sensible and comprehensible book on toilet training, with a 'method' that actually works - no matter where you're at or what age your child is. The author is an American paediatrician who for reasons she explains in the book made a special study of toilet training. Combining medical research, cross-cultural studies, the history of toilet training and her own experiences with her three children she has demonstrated the developmental phases children go through as they become potty trained. Her 'method' is really a clear description of these stages and how best to support children in each one. There are no quick-fixes or unrealistic pressure put on either parents or children; it is up to you as a parent to apply what you have learned from the book to each child in the way they need it for where they're at. For example, it starts with potty familiarity from when they can sit on one comfortably, by simply sitting for a while at a set time of day, for example before bath time. Eventually you will notice various signs (as described in the book) that your child is ready to sit on one at more regular intervals throughout the day, and so on in gradual steps at the pace of your child's development. As she says: a newborn has milk, then gradually moves to puree, from there to more flavours and textures until they eat like we do. We don't expect a newborn to tuck into steak, nor do we ask a child to wait until they're three and can eat everything to have anything other than milk! Apart from describing the method, there is also a fascinating history of toilet training and a section on problems, from night-time wetting to encopresis. This really is the only book you need on toilet training, and I cannot recommend it highly enough. Friends I have passed it on to have been equally happy - so go for it ;-)
on 2 March 2012
We have recently started teaching our child how to use the potty and this book has been very helpful in giving us ideas and helping us to understand how best to approach this area of development. It is easy to read and has useful sections that can be dipped in and out of at various stages. The only reason I gave it 4 stars rather than 5 was because I felt it was a little judgmental and directive in parts which I didn't find to be particularly helpful. I would recommend this though, particularly if you're thinking of starting potty training with a younger child.
on 13 July 2012
I seriously recommend this book for anyone with a baby. The younger the baby, the better, but also suitable for toddlers. Fully compatible with Attachment Parenting, Montessori and conventional methods, it uses an evidence-based approach to explain why waiting for "readiness" in the child probably isn't best, why potty-training isn't going to psychologically scar your child for life and how to get them out of nappies with confidence.
on 12 January 2015