on 30 August 2009
I watched one of Martha Stewart's episodes on her website when she mentioned this book was out and available to buy. I bought it, and have not been disappointed. The book is well thought out, there instructions on how to do make some of the items and the pictures are beautiful. I made the Chocolate Brownie Cookies and they tasted amazing!

ScrummyDoDa
on 3 September 2011
I describe myself as an avid baker. I'm not a novice but by no stretch do I consider myself an expert. When I get a new cookbook ( yes, I have too many!) there are three things that mean it makes it as far as the bookshelf. The first, is the number of recipes that I like the look of; I hate it when i get get new cookbook and only want to make 1 or 2 recipes from it. The second is the clarity and detail of the recipes - nothing is more infuriating than to be told to put something in a baking tin and bake it; surely the size of the tin makes a difference? The third, and usually the acid test, is how good the end product tastes! This book scores extremely highly on all these, hence a review! The Search facility above will let you browse the contents and a number of the recipes, so I won't re-iterate. I have made at least one item from each chapter to rave reviews. Martha's instruction are second to none; this will be handy for beginners who may not have the experience to know when the right stage is reached. For example, the recipe will ask you to whisk until well combined and also say "approx 3 min" so you know that you are doing it right. There are plenty of handy baking tips to ensure success - even how to measure your ingredients which is the backbone of great baking.

Of note, like the majority of American books, the recipes (with the exception of the breads) work with volumes and so you will need a set of measuring cups & jugs and you need to make sure they are not UK measures (which are larger). I got my baking kit when I was in the US but I have seen that my local kitchenware shop stocks the correct sizes. I wouldn't bother trying to convert the measures as I think you will lose the proportions. There is a very handy conversion chart at the back for weights and oven temperatures and UK equivalents for some ingredients (i.e. heavy cream = double cream). The other thing to warn you about is the quantities that the recipes yield. Like our pond-side cousins, they are massive. I have 24 light-as-air yellow butter cupcakes and 6 dozen mexican wedding cookies cooling as we speak, but you may as well only turn the oven on once and bake en-masse. There are suggestions for freezing and keeping, so I think actually while it might save you time, but not your waistline!

This is an excellent reference of all things baking and I whole heartedly recommend it for anyone wanting to get into baking.
11 Comment| 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 June 2010
I found this book when I was looking for cake decorating books, and I'm glad I ordered it.
It's very complete, with delicious recipes and lots of useful tips. It's one of my cooking and baking bybles.
Very good purchase.
on 3 May 2016
It is a good basic book and has great recipes. As I have the other four books of Martha Stewart (cookies, cakes, cupcakes and pies) is difficult to match because they are already specific. Either way I recommend this book to anyone who has or not the other!
on 1 February 2013
Beautiful book, logical and professional in its introduction and layout, a wonderful which appeals to the beginner with advice on equipment to achieve good results. It is also a great addition to seasoned bakers to add to their collection.
I have now purchased a few Martha Stewart cookbooks. I can say they are among my favourite books.

An enthusiastic baker
on 2 December 2012
There are some interesting recipes in here and I'm going to take great pleasure in trying them all out.

I tend to find that some of them are too sweet for our English taste buds but I'll adapt them to suit

Looking forward to trying some stalwart American classics for myself instead of just hearing about them in films!
on 6 June 2013
An excellent book! I have always been terrified of baking but this book takes you through each stage simplistically and step by step. I understand now how easy it is to make eclairs! If I can make these anyone can and this is a good book to start with.
on 25 December 2012
Have purchased this in the past as a gift for one of my siblings and was really appreciated. Could not wait to purchase it for myself very helpful in the kitchen for those who love to bake and experiment in the kitchen.
on 3 July 2013
one of the most used book in my cookery collection. Well presented and easy to follow. Well worth the money. Have down loaded it to my kindle so that I can take it on holiday
on 30 July 2012
From sweets to savouries to breads, tarts, ....you name it and this book has got it! It's like a dictionary to a student-indispensible.