TOP 500 REVIEWERon 1 January 2011
Had this as a pre schooler in 1960s and loved the pictures- ideal to look and discuss with your child even before he can read, little humourous touches everywhere. Bought copy recently for friend's child, and wanted to keep it! The rabbit in a chef's hat holding a frying pan on fire, labelled 'good cook'. The picture of the classroom where the text runs 'you can learn many things in school. Little Bear is learning how to find a lost glove'. Wonderful!!
Incidentally: be aware there are 2 editions to this book. I recently bought a copy for my granddaughter and was careful to get the older one (the cover shows mother in the kitchen on her own, rather than the politically correct couple sharing the chores.) Worth paying a bit more as it contains a number of sections that were cut from later version (flower garden etc).
on 12 August 2014
Excellent value and exactly as described. Grandson will be thrilled with this.
on 16 July 1998
I had the book when I was little (we called it Big Book). When I bought it for my son recently, I had the feeling that I remembered pages that weren't there: birds, flowers, buildings. I hunted up my old copy and sure enough, there were quite a few pages missing in the newer book. But nowhere in Joey's book does it say it's a revised edition! What's in the book is great, but I can't get rid of the feeling that we got gypped!
Another problem with the book is that it's not bound very well. All our Richard Scarry books seem to fall apart at the spine in very short order. It's true we read them constantly, but we read other books as often, and they don't fall apart as quickly.
22 Comments| 74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 January 2006
My son was given this book at birth! At six months when he was sitting up, I would prop the book in front of him and he would look at all the pictures which are grouped into themes on each page (boats, planes, neighbourhood etc). At one he was pointing to all the images and I was describing the scenes. Now at two years of age when his vocabulary is expanding by the moment he reads this book more than any other. I point to things and ask him to name them - he describes what he sees - it is a great source of knowledge and vocabulary for him, and is the one book, guaranteed to distract him when a meltdown is approaching! I can't recommend it enough - both for its contents and its longevity as a book that is appropriate for many years.
on 10 August 2010
I have a really old copy of this book and loved it when I was small and hoped to get my little one a new copy. Unfortunately it is no longer the nice book it was - the spelling is now American English, the pictures have changed, pages left out and sorry to say but just not the same.
on 12 February 2008
I had this book when I was little and I loved it. Seeing it for sale over 25 years later brought back happy memories. I ordered 2 copies at Christmas for my nieces. On delivery I was very disappointed. The book was a lot thinner than the original and with a lot more American words in it. I don't remember the original having a lot of American spelling in it. It could be very confusing for children trying to learn English words and spellings for things.

I was so disappointed I sent them both back! You can pick up better word books on the High Street.

Somethings from childhood are better left there!
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 28 December 2013
"Best Word Book Ever" written by Richard Scarry and illustrated by Golden Books is one of those books that you definitely need to have at home, a mandatory read to be enjoyed by every girl and boy who are learning to read.

This is the book I remember from my youth, due to it probably my love for reading started and I still keep that old version somewhere.
The book is divided into numerous categories, on each of them presented pictures are labeled very close to each thing, appearance, action or something else.

Apart from helping children learn to read, using it, it would be easy to learn writing and drawing that really makes this piece must-read for young readers.
Additionally, every page contains an extra text that asks children some interesting questions - the scope of the book in this way is broaden even more because child must think about the question and in the responding process will also learn some new words.

From beginning to the end "Best Word Book Ever" is filled with charming vivid, colorful and creatively made pictures that children will love.
And these are all reasons why this everlasting book with which many generations have grown up should be recommended for all future ones as well - its theme is timeless, its educational value and usefulness endless...
on 29 October 2012
My parents use to read this book to my sister and I when we were young (3-6yrs old) and they use to call out the names on the page and we had to find it. We learnt very quickly and enjoyed the colourful pages. I only remembered we use to have this book when Amazon recommended this book and others by the author and purchased it for my son (age 2yrs).

Boy, did his eyes open up wide!!! He already knows a fifth of the words before the book, and now he his learning more with it and enjoying all the characters and sketches on each page. So glad it is still in reproduction. Now, my memories are coming back every time we go through a new page and I call out the names of the words for my son!!

I recommend others to get this book for a great way for toddlers to learn more words!!
on 10 September 2013
Part of the joy of this book is the artwork and characters. :) it's true the newer version has a few less pages than when I was small and that's not good....

But for those complaining about American spellings.... The author is in fact AMERICAN....
If a child is old enough to spell a word then probably they are old enough for someone to explain that things are sometimes spelled differently in other countries. What a good opportunity for also sharing some cultural awareness.
on 21 April 1998
RICHARD SCARRY'S BEST WORD BOOK EVER is just that, the best word book ever for young children. Hundreds of words used in everyday langauge are represented in this fun, first dictionary.
Scarry's Busy Town characters introduce chidren to the world of words. Each page is dedicated to a different category of words such as "Tools", "At The Playground", and "At The Supermarket". Also included are the ABC's, number words, and words for parts of the human body.
Oprah Winfrey recently chose this book as one of the books she would recommend for children learning to read. I think this book is essential for every child's library. It is Terrific!