on 4 August 2017
"Portability" tends to suggest an object of smaller physical dimensions than this object. I'm tempted to subtract a star for the unnecessary thickness of paper chosen, completely the wrong paper in fact for any book of around 500 pages which clearly (by title) implies a purchasing individual should able to stuff such stuff in their back pocket and move on. However, "portable" atheistic material also suggests a document that continues to engage the intellect after many repeated readings and this book certainly does that. A great selection from the Hitch; to hear the trumpet blast of truth echoing through the years is all the sweeter a sound for the counterpoint it often plays to deeply god bothering times and places. This tome enlightens and inspires as it squashes and splatters deluded theologians all the way on its chronological journey from Lucretius to Ayaan Hirsi Ali. Highly recommended!
on 19 July 2017
Hitchens never fails - he is sorely missed - this is just what I needed, now that Christopher has "converted me" - EVIDENCE! (Or perhaps I should say 'Evidence of an indication and consideration of a lack of evidence? (Hmm - thought provoking, which has to be a good thing).
on 18 September 2017
For the serious Contrarian. Although he left us some years ago, his work thankfully is as much alive today as if he was sitting amongst us. Never tire of hearing Christopher Hitchens dissect an issue & convince us of the rightness of his perspective.
on 26 March 2017
Being a long time Atheist (since being 15/16 and I'm now 75+)- very, very clearly Mankind created god and NOT the other way around.
on 5 April 2017
Required reading. Brilliant selection from humanist writing. Useful for sceptics as much as for atheists.
on 28 June 2017
Exactly as described.
on 19 September 2017
As described. Arrived quickly.
on 31 July 2017
A beautiful read from the century's finest contrarian.
on 8 March 2013
Excellent collection of writings dealing with some of the nonsense surrounding religion. It is difficult to imagine anyone reading this book and not wantinig to sue the various relegious organisations for gaining money under false pretenses.

Some of the writings are a little difficult to read as their use of English is very dated. The book starts with the work of an arab and ends with how a Somali woman left her faith.

There is an excellent piece by one of the Penn and Teller magicians. If nothing else, read that one.
on 18 October 2011
I'll admit I haven't read the Hume essay yet but I ate the rest of the book and have a copy on my iPhone so I can dip into it whenever I'm stuck on the tube without something to read. This book offers evidence of Hitchens wide reading and each essay seems perfectly placed in the collection.

Like all good collections this book should serve as an introduction to authors you may have neglected, ignored or been unaware of. For me, George Eliots essay was a very welcome surprise. Reading it made me realise what a dimwit I'd been to neglect her and encouraged me to start reading her novels with Middlemarch.