Format: Paperback|Change

on 21 July 2015
Couldn't put this book down. Having been raised a catholic with the choir boy background I was compelled to find any truth in what to me could only be summarised as unbelievable BS.

Having done my research, this is now the only book I believe in.
on 6 December 2015
The early death at 59 from esophageal cancer took from the world's sane men a wonderful orator but we can still hear his sense and distaste for the religious bigot and the silly liberals that would have without a doubt killed Salmon Rushdie if they could have found him.
on 4 December 2015
For someone like myself who isn't great at reading whole novels in my busy life, this is a perfect book. An anthology of texts spanning over 2000 years by folks of sound mind and rigorous intellect writing on the irrational reality of religion and it false promises that condition subsequent generations to this day (sadly). As many text remind us, the only sense of reality and the cause and consequence of our actions is now and if the book preaches anything then it is we have the power to shape our own life through our humanity to each other and to believe in people over false gods. Atheists simply believe in the beauty and potential of the human race as this life is all we have and it is simply not true that faith has any monopoly on you being a good person. Packed with beautiful writing and points of view it's a great book to dip into when the TV is showing more acts of intolerance and reminding you we should fingers crossed evolved out of living through imaginary creatures to see we have, what is important the human race on this planet collectivity and how it is must be defined by our respect for each other.
on 2 November 2014
Contributions by iconic writers make this book an enjoyable read. Thought provoking, intellectual stimulation and insights. They really are well picked writings by Christopher, "Essential" is the right word!
We lost an absolute treasure with the passing of Christopher Hitchens. - His legacy of education in logic, rationality, and intellectual growth, lives on.
on 5 June 2009
With believers on the back foot, resorting to "evangelical atheism" taunts against anyone who dares challenge their ideas, the measured and incisive writing in this collection would open their eyes - if only they would dare look. Alas, I suspect that the readership will be those who do not need convincing. Those who are prepared to believe the irrational simply don't want to be challenged by cogent argument - it frightens them. Nevertheless, the selections articulate ideas that many of us have but can't put into words with such ease. I recommend it without hesitation.

A favourite citation is this, from Penn Jillette, :
"...everything in the world is plenty for me. It seems just rude to beg the invisible for more. Just the love of my family that raised me and the family I'm raising now is enough that I don't need heaven. I won the huge genetic lottery and I get joy every day."

What more does a person need?
on 16 June 2009
Take a look at the contributors in this work. The most brilliant minds of the last 2 millenia. Just read it and make your own mind up because no review is going to do it justice.
on 17 May 2016
The late Christopher Hitchens was an amazing character and his wit always made me laugh. I have enjoyed reading of Christopher's books and works. The introduction that Hitchens gives to the book is a fantastic introductions and made you think quite a lot. However, the introductions that he gives to each essay in this book, are rather quite banal. It makes me think that this was an attempt by Hitchens to grab collect more money from his world-wide famous book 'God is Not Great'.

Despite the fact that I did not enjoy his introductions, I thoroughly enjoyed reading all of the essay's found within this book. The essay's span from the work of Lucretius, to Hobbes, and then to modern atheists. For people that want to get a firm understanding of atheism and why people do not believe in God, you most certainty need to read this.
on 23 September 2013
If, like me, you need writers like Hitchens to help you rage against the dying of reason - I mean, Halal meat is now one of the fastest growing food trends in the UK, what is THAT all about with its inherent cruelty and madness! - then books like these really are essential reading. The carefully selected essays and excerpts are beautiful. There is beauty in writing but not in God. God is a cruel fantasy. Read and weep.
on 1 June 2016
Another triumph for Hitchens. A collection of erudite,amusing and downright hilarious articles demonstrating the idiocy of the religious. How did I not hear about Gerin Oil and its monstrous effects before?
on 12 May 2014
Hitchens as done here a wonderful job of collecting here the works of great free-thinkers, rationalists, agnostics and atheists all through the ages. Some of these i was already familiar with yet others were new to me introducing me to some great pieces of writing. This book makes for excellent short reading with each chapter on average being 10-15min long allowing you get a bit of reading done as you await a meal order or while waiting in line at the grocery store. Its very quotable allowing you to quickly look up a counter argument to any theistic argument while also providing some pleasant reading with poetry, novel extracts and short essays. It has my full recommendation to anyone who wishes to join the ranks of the New Atheism movement