on 13 October 2004
If I found anything wrong about this book, it would be it's title. To me, it's sounds like a parody of all those self-help books currently polluting bookstore shelves. But curious, I picked it up and started browsing. It was light and fun reading. I wished it was around earlier when I had questions about concerning my own manners and etiquette and had no one to ask. Much of what/how to do the proper thing(s) to do is covered, from which piece of cutlery to use - to the W5's of ordering wine in a restaurant - to dating tips, and more. The book is short, informative, to-the-point and humourous.(I wish I had friends that were that!)
on 2 September 2005
It almost pains me to write this review, as I absolutely loathe the term 'metrosexual'. As an individual, I very much possess many of the 'traditional' male qualities, such as stoicisim, firm-but-fair, principled and far from a walkover. I'm not, what one would say, a man in touch with his feminine side.
However, there are some things I like to get right: I like looking stylish, I like being organised, and I like to have a basic handle on general etiquette. To that extent, this book by Michael Flocker is absolutely superb.
As other reviewers have suggested, ignore the 'metrosexual' in the title and ignore the somewhat-naff humour/self-help design of the book. It's the content that matters, and every page is filled with gems.
He has lists of good films to watch, of good CDs to own. He'll tell you how you should handle your cell phone, how you should excuse yourself, the basics of working out. Most impressively, he gives a condensed rundown on style, listing the basics every man needs for a wardrobe while recommending stores and designers (complete with potted evaluations). And grooming - everything from shaving to your eyebrows - is dealt with in an equally concise way.
This is a small book, but surprisingly dense in information. I feel the format works very, very well. There's absolutely NO hint of pretentiousness about this book...it reads more like pages and pages of tips and tricks, but without every becoming wholly superficial.
Pick it up and polish your all-round game, gentlemen.
on 1 December 2004
This book is a great collection of fashion, grooming, home decor and other tips for getting out of the student/frat boy look and getting in step with...well, modern trends, there's no other way to put it! Suggestions such as what color trousers you should wear, what shoes you ought to have, how to choose a color scheme for your house or apartment, choose a cologne etc., are all covered. The author doesn't try to force anything down your throat, it's all guidelines for developing your own modern style. It's a great way to catch up with this type of thing without having to get a subscription to GQ or Maxim, or watch a season's worth of Queer Eye (although these will all help reinforce what you can learn from the book).
Give it as a gift to a recent college grad or divorce' or use it yourself to develop yourself out of the flannel and sweatshirt phase of your life.
on 15 February 2008
i held little hope for this book 'cause of the title. Metrosexual. actually, if you bought it for that purpose (a style gide for metro's) you'd be dissapointed.
This is a quick modern book for how to be a man, a modern style man, with no farting about. it doesn't tell you where to go to have a peticure... it does make you aware they exist... and point out if you bother to have one, certainly don't go as far as getting clear nail polish!
it's a book of common sense and light advice on how to behave like a gent/decent human being.
It's not a life changer if you've already thought about reading it... but it's certainly a life sharpener.
Grab this book, a savile row suit and right tasty sort... sorry, lady. and have the time of ya life without being a snooty git.
more beckham than peckham and more bradly pitt than a pile of the proverbial.
and it's cheap tooo
on 19 March 2012
I have until now resisted the temptation to review anything on Amazon. 'Too busy' has been my excuse. I cheerfully break my duck after devouring this witty and most wise rundown on key points that are not only vital but which have been missing in my life. These omissions partly explain why I'm still single and also why so many girlfriends just didn't stick around.

I'm going to use this stuff. I thank the author and publishers most warmly for it.

There are not many books I plan on re-reading and re-reading. This certainly is one such.
on 3 January 2004
It's good to finally see a book on this subject. However, this book is not so much a book on metrosexuality, rather a guide to take man out of the stone age. A true metrosexual will find all of this book old hat. What's needed is something to parody "metrosuxuality" on a slightly higher level.
on 20 March 2015
It is ok.
on 4 March 2009
Not bad, terrible title as other reviewers have mentioned but nevertheless some very useful basics which has filled in quite a few gaps in my knowledge.