Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 January 2017
Found this quite hard going.

Prior to buying this book I had been given one of Mishima's works as a gift. From there, I learned of his bizzare death and that intrigued me to find out more about him and the life he led.

I have read a lot of biographies in the past but this was my first on an author. In hindsight, I guess it is very obvious that the book would mainly be focused on his writings, but I found it quite difficult to appreciate for that reason given that I was only familiar with one of Mishima's books at that point in time.

The detail about his childhood and his ultimate decline was interesting, but I found large chunks of the book fairly dull or inaccessible owing to my lack of knowledge on his various writings.

I would only recommend to those already familiar with Mishima and have a good understanding of Japanese culture.