Format: Paperback|Change

on 17 July 2014
Refinding an author is always thrilling and Nicholas Monsarrat is no exception. this book is a wonderful read from beginning to end and it works on two different levels. There is the story of the local priest who brings hope and strength to the local population in a time of extremes and then there is the totally factual history of this island of Malta and what it endured through those dark days of ww2. Having found Monsarrat again I am off to read " Three Corvettes"
on 21 April 2016
I read this book whilst on holiday in Sliema and was immediately transported back to World War Two. The descriptive language and finely drawn characters draw the reader into the horrendous ordeals Malta suffered during the second siege. It was wonderful to read about the various places described so vividly and then see them for myself. I would recommend this book to anyone for a moving, gripping read. If you are going to Malta on holiday, this book is a must!
on 26 February 2014
This is an excellent book. The characters wonderful and the descriptions of the bombing of Malta during World War II are heart rending. I particularly like the way the author has woven the history of this remarkable island into his story. I would recommend this book to any keen reader and especially those who are travelling to Malta as I am.
on 11 April 2015
Was I delighted to find a copy of this book, which is the most remarkable account by the amazing Monsarrat, of wartime Malta, and the extraordinary priest who is so vital a part of everyone's lives. Very warmly recommended, for the writing, for the gripping story, and for the marvellous way that Monsarrat brings all these things to life.
on 29 January 2016
This is a lovely book, heard about it from a friend so decided to read it. Brings to life the people of Malta and what they suffered and in the consequence am visiting Malta in the summer, partly because of this book and also the fact that my father was there during WW11. Excellent read and will probably read it again before our visit.
on 11 March 2015
Monsarrat graphically tells the story of the island's suffering over the years, each chapter depicting a different period of its history. Read this and see the DVD " The Siege of Malta - The George Cross Island ".If you are thinking of visiting the Island you would get a better appreciation of the Island and its people.
on 18 February 2015
There is a lot of reading on the siege of Malta from 1940 to1942 from the military perspective. This gives it from the perspective of the civil populace by following the life of a Preist as he ministered his parish during those dark days and gives some history of Malta on a series of small 'flashbacks.' Good reading.
on 29 May 2014
I was recommended to read this book and I initially borrowed it from the library when I discovered that I could not put the book down I went and bought it for my Kindle so that i could finish reading it on vacation. A wonderful book showing Malta durign the war adn the people who lived through those times.
on 6 July 2016
Having recently been on holiday to Malta and having visited gozo I wanted to learn something of the history of Malta a saw this book while visiting St. Elmos fort . Very interesting and educational and a tribute to all the Maltese who have suffered over the centuries. I loved t book a love the country.
on 16 September 2013
This is in the same league as "The Cruel Sea", which is my favorite book which I read at school. I only came across The Kappilan when I went to Malta on holiday earlier this year, now aged 67! It provokes deep thoughts and has characters which certainly have parallels today. A good read!