on 26 July 2013
If we,the pre-baby boomers ever thought that we were all going to have "It",that is money ever after,this is the book to bring you down to earth,Well written ,Lucid and very clear about what may well come to be. This is a book that opens up the real world to just how difficult life is going to get for our off-spring. There is no doubt that I have lived through a time of quite considerable luxury. The problem however is just what is going to happen next.As a "retYred" Surgeon, the fact that I had all of my training for free,albeit that I then worked 43 years in the NHS,i have grave doubts that the current Trainees will want to give all their time to the NHS after having to pay off a debt of some £40-50,000. If the British want a health Service free at the point of delivery,then-they are going too have to import the Doctors!
on 24 June 2013
This book presents the most convincing argument I've read so far on the trajectory of Western economies. In my opinion, this book is aimed at people with a greater than average understanding of finance/economics and so provides a new way of looking at the economic theories that we were brought up on at university. Other books can be repetitive or spend too long presenting the basics, unlike this book which gets to the point succinctly.
on 16 June 2013
This is, as the title suggests, scary. We are going to hell in a handcart; the party's over. King shows very clearly why this is: an extrapolation of the growth we have experienced in recent years into a golden future. He suggests ways out but none is painless and we shall be lucky to recover without social upheaval. There is some repetition but the book is a real page-turner.
on 9 November 2014
Interesting insight into today's economy. Most common sense and already known facts but written to bring it all together to create a simplistic view. Could have been written in about 2/3rds of book as referring back to previous info wasn't always needed and became repetitive.
on 2 October 2013
I did expect from S King a slightly more in depth and nuanced approach, especially since his style as a professional economist is very interesting and insightful. Therefore I was slghtly disappointed with shallowness of this book for someone following the current events from economic and political point of view.

This book is probably written for a wider audience, hence the level of detail is kept fairly superficial on purpose. Mr King could have writen a more elaborate story. Therefore professional investors and market watchers probably find this book slghtly flat reading, hence ***'s.
on 14 January 2014
You're probably considering buying this book with this question in mind "What happens when the money runs out?" You'll be disappointed. What you'll get is six chapters of economic history which don't get me wrong is interesting, a couple of chapters of economics/politics, a chapter complaining about the mess we're in, half a chapter stating the obvious and half a chapter stating what we already know about what we want doing. The only original thought in the last chapter was the use of nominal GDP targets instead of inflation when forming monetary policy. Given that the FED has moved towards unemployment as a justification for interest rate changes and the BoE is on record saying the interest rates are no longer effective, this is a bit late.
I was expecting to be told of solutions that you'll find in most decent financial newspapers but I really wanted to know what were the obstacles to implementing them and how they might be overcome. A couple of worked scenarios would have been a bonus. But no, I'm on my second coffee thinking I'm getting to the climax and then the next page is the bibliography. It's like bad sex and sadly you can't smoke inside these days to make up for it.
on 10 June 2013
A nice summary of where we are today. Some good suggestions going forward. I only hope policy makers are reading this and can find a way to present it to the voters in a way that it has a chance of being implemented. Otherwise the inevitable 'selling off of the family silver' will make life increasingly hard for the younger generation. Plenty of mention of the baby boomers, called 'the selfish generation'.
Only three stars as in my opinion it doesn't go into enough depth on fixing the situation.
Here's an idea for a follow up: "Preventing democracies running up overdrafts".
Three stars because it is indeed ok. However, I bought it because I thought it would be better than ok. If you read a decent newspaper with any regularity, you know pretty well everything you will find in this book. As others have pointed out the title raises expectations that the content does not meet.
on 6 February 2016
Reads like rantings of a guy who read an few newspaper stories and is trying to organize his thoughts, but failed to do so.
on 6 July 2014