on 8 January 2014
Often on art college book lists, this is still a classic text book on the subject of colour and its qualities. Succinct, and practical, with plenty of reproducible examples should you wish to experiment for yourself. Even after all these years of painting I learnt something from re-reading it.
on 27 February 2014
I found this a most intriguing read in that there are colour examples for every phenomenon in colour vision and perception that Albers described, some of them really surprising. If I get the time I might actually try some of the exercises myself to further sharpen my quite acute sense of colour - there certainly is a very suitable body of instruction here.
on 28 January 2015
I found it excellent. However, I have been told there is an error on page 23.
Albers make no distinction between rods and cones, and suggests that the
three additive primary colours are red, yellow and blue. This is wrong they are
the subtractive primaries. The additive primaries are red, green and blue -violet.
He says staring at red will fatigue the red-sensitive 'parts', he fails to identify the parts as cones, and
suggests that a sudden shift to white means that only a mixture of yellow and blue occurs and this is green,
the complement to red. This I have been told is misleading?
on 25 May 2014
I found the way colours change and interact to different situations and relationships with other colours extremely interesting. All togeather a fascinating bookbook.
on 9 April 2016
This book is a must for anyone studying art absolutely mind blowing, makes everything plain and simple,
on 12 September 2014
This book arrived in perfect condition just a few days after ordering, even though the estimated delivery date was still a few weeks away. I can't reccomend 'Interaction of Colour' highly enough, it's got amazing pictures throughout and the supporting text is informative but still accessible. A must-have for any Graphic Design student such as myself, I was very glad to see it was on my required reading list for Uni.
on 24 October 2014
I'm just getting stuck in to reading this book and hope to carry out the exercises, though already know that it is a complete gem. I recently bought another colour workshop book, which daunts me as it seems to render the subject opaque. This book however is poetic in approach and makes sense in terms of understanding colour as being essentially relative.
on 13 August 2016