on 20 January 2013
A wonderful book, such an easy read, the author takes you along with him without making you feel inadequate.
I am 79 interested in history and this book has brought back many details that I had forgotten.
I would certainly encourage both young and old to obtain a copy whether you are a bookworm or or a casual reader of books.
A great present for a teenager who may at first be disappointed when opening the present but pleased if they have the encouragement to open the first page, and put down their mobiles.
on 16 April 2017
Excellent book - I have The Story of Art but this was a surprising little gem I found in the library and wanted to buy a copy to save for when my granddaughter is old enough - it is a good start for anyone interested in world history
on 6 January 2016
A really brilliant book for someone who wants to learn about the history of civilisation. The author explains it in a manner which is very easy to understand (whilst not missing important information) and is very enjoyable. It shows the links between important historical events and explains why it occurred. I feel like I've got a much better understanding of the world reading this book. I highly recommend it.
on 20 July 2017
Excellent little book for anyone either studying history or interested in ut.
Really good introduction to thinking about the past and how it impacts on today.
Easily readable.
on 6 January 2016
Brilliant, refreshing and awe-inspiring read on our written history for both children and adults alike. Highly recommend this book to parents wanting to read something of substance at bedtimes that will be anything but boring for your child to listen to.
on 30 November 2012
I don't normally ready history books at all but I am working my way through the World Book Night list and have to say this one was excellent. The style of writing is so easy to follow - it was like someone telling me a story of why and how I got to be where I am with lots of lovely relevant facts along the way. I found myself really looking forward to the next chapter and had many "light bulb" moments when I was reminded of history lessons in school or my father telling me things as a child. I would recommend this to any age - perhaps not for pure historians - but definately for those of us who should really know a bit more about our history and how the world became what it is today.
on 12 April 2018
This is one very charming history book. Written for the younger reader but full of the sort of background that all adults ought to know.
on 11 August 2017
Bought for a friend's daughter who came top in her History class. I already have it.
VINE VOICEon 24 April 2014
This was recommended to me and I am so pleased. I would not have picked it up without a recommendation and I would have missed a real treat.
Covering many themes, the book looks at the world in an unusual and thought-provoking way. Buy it. Read it. Pass it on.
on 29 April 2017
Gombrich is the master - it's a great little book. Highly recommended.