on 15 October 2015
There's only one word for this book - Amazing (with a capital A). So far, I've tried two recipes from this book (which I'll review below and keep adding to as I make more and more) and they are so full of flavour and bursting with aroma that I've made them over and over again. This book has really converted me to the Hairy Bikers. Its important to know that though not a beginner, I'm not a confident cook and do really require recipes to help me along with my cooking.

I've tweaked the Pad Thai recipe slightly (emphasis on the word slightly) and this is more to do with personal preference. BUT be warned, some of these recipes are costly but to get the maximum flavour, I would suggest buying the authentic ingredients they recommend (for example Thai basil and Thai shallots). Because of this, I don't tend to make them that often and sometimes I refer to The Hairy Bikers' Great Curries book instead for cheaper versions (and not as tasty) of the recipe.

Pad Thai
This is my FAVOURITE! Since making it, I've often gone into a restaurant and found that their Pad Thai is now lacking and have become one of those "I can make this so much better myself" type of people. The recipe is so full of flavour and aroma and so easy to make. I do prefer it a little sweeter than suggested and so I up the tamarind paste to 2tsps and add a small tsp of honey. Again really a personal preference. I cannot praise this recipe enough and can guarantee you that once you make it, Pad Thai will never be the same again for you.

Chicken Shichimi Katsu Curry
Now I'm not a fan of Katsu curry but my husband is and so I made this dish for him. But I am definitely converted. Such a yummy dish though the Japanese 7-spice seasoning was quite difficult to find (I would suggest New Loon Moon in China Town, London).

Egg Fried Rice
This is absolutely heavenly. I alter it slightly so it's less time consuming and healthier (I mix it up with another egg fried rice recipe from the Hair Dieters series).
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 18 January 2017
I received this as a Christmas present this year and have tried a few of the recipes.

I love the hairy bikers as they tend to be a bit more unorthodox when it comes to the way they present their foods and recipes and don't hide behind uniform presenting styles, because of this I was more than happy to try many of the recipes in the book even though many of the ingredients are things I had to buy online, however, once they are purchased they will last for several recipes.

The book is divided into 7 sections which feature recipes from various locale in Asia such as: Hong Kong; South Korea; Tokyo and Kyoto for example. All of the recipes are accompanied by a picture of the finished dish, and step by step instructions are given, followed by some further serving suggestions.

So far, I've tried 3 recipes from this book that stand out. The first was the stir fried tomato and eggs (Granoma Lulu style), which is featured in the Hong Kong section of the book and has a very nice sweet and savoury taste. Quick and simple to make and inspired me to try various versions of it featuring different/additional ingredients.

The second was the Chashu Pork, which is under the Kyoto and Rural Japan section. I used Pork Loin in this recipe as I was unable to get the specified pork belly (Afternoon shopping is a nightmare), and it turned out sublime. We used the leftovers to make the Chashu pork ramen recipe the next day, which was filling and was our third recipe from the book.

If you like to cook Asian style dishes then I'd recommend you check this out, it's easy to understand and well written.
review image review image
on 13 May 2017
Was really impressed by this book. The Bikers have tried to keep things authentic but accessible. Pleased to see more rounded coverage of Asia with a larger focus on Thai, Korean and Japanese dishes. You can get a lot of ingredients from bigger supermarkets or local Asian marts if you have them nearby, but some specialist bits you will still likely have to go online for. It really is worth the effort getting hold of them though and the Bikers have even listed recommended suppliers for your area or who can deliver nationwide. For starters, follow the recipe and their Thai green and red curry pastes are brilliant. They keep well and taste delicious. Very happy to add this to my collection.
on 17 December 2016
Beautifully made book, reminds of Jamie Olivier's travel books. Bright lovely pictures and good recipes. I'm in love with Bikers' books but this one is much more complicated than their usual sets. Nevertheless whatever I cooked so far was delicious however time consuming.
on 9 June 2017
Mother day present, think she likes it, we followed the TV series so had some great recipes which are easy to make.

Good pictures of the dishes and easy to follow.

We have had some very tasty dishes.
on 3 July 2017
excellent bargain for £5!!! some brilliant recipes including some classics like satay kebabs, chow mein and beef noodle soup and some dishes that sounds or look unappealing but trust me they are Not!!, I have cooked nearly 80% of the dishes and so far not hated any (with some tweaking for taste i.e. chillies) apart from that excellent book
on 20 June 2017
Quite a complicated book with a lot of Ingredients required. We soon lost interest as wverything took so long. Great it you don't mind taking your time
on 28 July 2017
A well presented book, with clear instructions and nice photographs... I just need to stop eating for two now...
on 18 July 2017
I had a copy sent to Asia, and feedback suggests it is already making much work done in the kitchen.
on 18 July 2017
Good book if you like Asian food