Format: Hardcover|Change

VINE VOICEon 11 November 2013
I must admit I pounced on this when I saw it had the recipe for beer soup that was on the telly the other night, without the very appetising little choux buns but what looks like a very tasty alternative. Since becoming older and less sturdy in the dentine department I have become a huge fan of terrines and mousses and there are some absolute cracking examples in here. I am positively twitching to get on and start on the ham mousse. The little mutton pies look delicious, and his scrambled eggs and chicken choux buns are making my mouth water just thinking about them. Haven't got my apron yet, and you may ask why I'm reviewing before cooking. This is Michel Roux Jnr, as if the recipes won't work perfectly. Apart from wrestling with a pig's head, or foraging through the entire mort of England to find a full foie gras, I'm prepared to try any of the recipes on faith as its inconceivable he would present any recipe that isn't out of this world delicious. If you don't cook, and have no intentions of cooking, then just reading this book feels like one step away from sitting in a restaurant actually eating, they look that good. Decades ago I found a fully illustrated book of Escoffier recipes, and never cooked a single one, although I have often browsed through it over the years. I cannot say the same of any of the family Roux books. They are all pretty dog eared and stained now from sitting open amongst the detritus on my kitchen worktop.
on 7 April 2014
Bought as a present after my wife mentioned her interest after seeing a review - but she regards Michael Roux as the greatest chef ever, however being French herself she may be biased.

I think it may be more of a book to read and inspire rather than follow recipes slavishly. I had a quick look - some of the ingredients may be difficult to source in England, especially in cities, unless the Harrods Food Hall is your local supermarket - wild boars' head, and horse meat and even rabbit are difficult to find in east London (unfortunately).

However my wife is delighted - so 5 stars from me.
on 22 January 2015
This is a lovely book for a 'celebrity' one. Generally I find celebrity cook books over priced and full of dishes you either would not wish to eat or cannot get the ingredients for but for the £5 I paid for this I am very pleased. The instructions are clean and there are more pictures of dishes than I thought there would be. The French are well known for their complete use of an animal (and also ones not common in the UK) and well done to them so it is no surprise to find recipes for calf's brains, ox tongue, grilled kid and horse fillet. I personally will not be trying these recipes and if it is possible to get cockscombs for the recipe on p145 I will give that a miss too. This aside, there are some lovely fowl, game and fish recipes and I will certainly be trying each of the desserts! If you love French food you will probably like all of the recipes, if you like cookbooks to enjoy reading them then you will also like this book. If you are at all squeamish over ingredients and want to be able to try the whole book then this is probably not the book for you.
on 17 November 2013
Recipes clear and well presented. But there are some 'obvious' dishes that appear in most cookbooks. And there are rather too many unusual ingredients for the home Cook.
on 27 May 2015
This is a lovely big recipe book, made even more interesting with the little anecdotes about most of the recipes. I especially like that the recipe titles are in French with the English translation underneath (the recipes themselves are in English) and there are quotes from French chefs through the ages - again in French with English translations.

Michele was so lucky to be a Frenchman brought up in England. I'll bet his French teacher never had to change his name like my teacher did to me (my name doesn't have a French equivalent). He and his siblings experienced two different cultures simultaneously and I for one am pretty envious of that!

An informative and highly interesting recipe book. Brilliant bed time reading as well as for in the kitchen. Buy it, it is fantastic value and will entertain for hours.
on 18 December 2014
I haven't been much of a fan of MRJ recently but this book is really worth buying.
I saw a few reviews about hard to find ingredients but, for the majority of recipes, this isn't true.
The recipes and photography is all up to scratch and worth more than the £5 it currently sells at
on 22 January 2016
To be fair I will say that there are recipes in here that I will never attempt - not due to complexity or my own hampered skills - I can't eat nose to tail so brains etc are a no for myself. That said there are more than enough strong,classical recipes with which to produce something spectacular. So far I have not been dissaponted with the soups, certain terrines and the odd surprise here and there (corn & chorizo eggs - delicious!). A fantastic French cookery book that does not suffer from 'celebrity' in the manner that some cook books do.
on 4 June 2015
I bought this book on kindle and I absolutely love it, especially the deserts I can't stop reading them, I made the 'Pear and almond tart' and was delicious. I had a bit of problem with the sweet pastry as when I took it out of the fridge was way to hard to be rolled so I had to leave it to soften a bit, but still couldn't roll it so I put it straight into my buttered tin and rolled it with my handes and used a glass to smooth it out. Not the right way to roll out pastry but it worked and the pastry came out crispy and really nice. Other then that there were no more issues. You sohuld tried it yoruself, your family will love it.

I am on a mission to make as many recipes as I can.
on 15 November 2013
Very good recipes. Can be quite difficult to do but a good insight into French cooking . Shows how they use different parts of meat that we don t normally use.
on 29 June 2015
Great recipes, vidid and colourful pictures, and a huge variety in the types of recipe. Expect numerous ingredients (and some be hard to obtain depending where you live and what your budget is), fairly complicated procedures, and perhaps some failed attempts....however, this is French cooking from a master French chef after all, so don't expect these to come easy. I really don't understand why people are giving less stars because some of the ingredients are hard to get hold of; the recipes are authentic and if you changed it, they wouldn't be right!