on 2 November 2017
Nice book
on 11 May 2017
Fantastic book
on 5 December 2014
A lovely book, with a lot of great tips for the novice or experienced cook. The modern twists on the recipes are surprisingly good, and due care and attention has obviously been taken to keep the spirit of the original; which is encouraging. However, I can't help feeling that something is missing. The original edition of Mrs Beeton's Book of Household Management is almost impossible to find nowadays. And while this new, "improved" version says that the original contains ingredients it would be impossible to find today, and that the measurements are wrong for the modern kitchen, to justify the changes they've made... I've never had any problems. In fact, everything I've ever made following the original recipes turned out wonderfully. It's how I learned to cook, in fact. If you only buy one cookery book ever, it should definitely be a Mrs Beeton. It contains everything you'll ever need to know about cooking. This is a good start, but if you did only buy one cookery book ever, and if it was a Mrs Beeton, for God's sake do yourself a favour: get the original!
on 2 January 2015
lovely book, lovely condition
on 14 August 2012
I love this cookbook. I wanted a cookbook that included traditional English recipes such as pork pies, pickled onions and trifle. This book really does give you the basics of British cooking, and more. The original Mrs Beeton book may include the same recipes but that book didn't inspire me to make anything from it. Many of the recipes in this book have been modified by the author, so I don't know how representative they are of Mrs Beeton anyway, but I am very, very pleased with the recipes I have used. Not only are they easy to follow, but everything I have made tastes wonderful. I do have to modify certain recipes to accommodate a gluten free diet but this hasn't impacted on the usefulness of the book at all. There is still plenty of delicious food to be made and in spite of falling out with my upstairs neighbour over the smells resulting from pickling onions, the result was definitely worth it!
on 20 April 2017
Excellent condition. Just the book I wanted to cook all the recipes that my mother used to make and I have since forgotten. Wonderful.
on 29 November 2011
Mrs Beeton - famed for her Victorian housekeeping manuals that gained tremendous notoriety over the years. A new 'Mrs Beeton' book entitled 'How to cook' is a combination of recipes from Mrs Beeton and the input of Gerard Baker, a chef, food writer and broadcaster.

This book is great, it covers lots of recipes (220 in total) but also covers so many of the basic cooking techniques any serious cook needs. Its been quite a while since I have seen a recipe book that covers the whole range of cooking skills needed, but this book covers everything from soups and stocks to sauces to jams, jellies and pickles and everything in between. With this you will be able to master the basics and some! The notion of this book is to bring a lot of Mrs Beeton's recipes and techniques bang up to date and this 150th anniversary edition does just what it claims.

As well as the chapters described above there are recipes for fish and shellfish, poultry and game, meat, vegetables, eggs and cheese, pastry, puddings and desserts, cakes, biscuits and breads, and lastly drinks.

Most of the recipes are short and concise, a significant number of them have a photograph. The introductions to each chapter include advice on buying and preparing that range of foods, advice and tips on preparation and execution are given throughout.

This is quite a big book and it has a great deal to offer any cook, novice or experienced cook.

I tried the tomato chutney and we really loved it...you are suppose to leave this for a month to mature, we have eaten 2 jars already, its rich and dark and it has a sweetened hit, its good with cheese, ham and sausages, its a winner!

This book would make a fabulous gift, I cannot think of a cook I know that would not love it!
on 17 June 2017
Thre recipies are just priceless and much easier to follow than the original books
on 14 October 2011
I purchased this cookery book for my recently married daughter. Having expressed a desire to acquire greater culinary skills I thought this would be a perfect gift for her. She was delighted and said it is the cookery course she has been looking for! The sections which introduce the huge variety of recipes give advice, cooking methods and skills. She also found it most helpful having specified preparation and cooking times at the top of each recipe particularly as she works full time. We were invited over for supper and enjoyed the pot-roast top rump and plum crumble both dishes were absolutely delicious! Well done Mrs Beeton you are still Queen of the kitchen some 150 years on!