Format: Hardcover|Change

on 28 March 2017
You just cannot go wrong with anything the Bikers advise. Their straight-forward and clear instructions make life just that bit easier. All the ingredients can be obtained from any local supermarket. Not like some rather-over-the-top chefs who talk about some items most of us have never heard of. Keep going Hairy Bikers we are right with you!
on 6 April 2017
I feel bad saying this but I'm glad I didn't buy this at full price. It's a good book that is so typically 'Hairy Bikers' but some of the recipes are not really 'baking' and many are not what I'd call every day food. i'm hopeing to find a new family favourite amongst the pages,
on 28 April 2017
item as described, well packaged and fast delivery. Spot on
on 26 March 2017
on 17 June 2017
very pleased with my purchase
on 20 April 2017
very good
on 31 May 2012
Another brilliant book - have made the Bacon Scones and Potato Bread - brilliant - my family can't get enough of the Bacon scones. I am not a good cook - I don't like cooking - but these Hairy Biker's books have got me really interested in baking again. Their recipes are easy to follow and the end results are great. I use their books all the time now and enjoying baking and eating the finished product. Now just need to find a good slimming book!!!!!
on 2 April 2012
I'd never really paid any attention to previous Hairy Bikers' output as I'd wrongly categorised them as a made-up-pairing in the mould of the Two Fat Ladies. I saw their first TV episode traveling through Norway and was absolutely riveted. The pair are proper bakers - they know why things work or not, they show you exactly what it is you should be doing and they do it with such panache and showmanship you can't help but warm to them. I'd say you'd need to see the pair at work to really appreciate the book - there are some minor differences in the recipe methodologies as recorded in print. Nevertheless, you should follow what they say/show you. The Rye bread mixture really is wet and they remind you not to add any additional flour. Do as they say because the result is a beautifully textured moist bread - not what I was expecting for a rye loaf. The potato bread recipe differs in the final proving and arrangement but it will come out lovely whatever shape you make it. I'm really pleased I found this resource as it trumps another so-called bread maker's book I also own. Compared to the relatively dry bread that comes out of my electric breadmaker all the recipes I've tried have been gorgeously moist, tasty and moreish. (A warning if you're watching your weight!)
33 Comments| 52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 March 2012
Absolutely outstanding!
This book oooozes delicious recipes and makes you want to put the oven on and start baking.
Each recipe is illustrated with a photo(very important)and easy and informative instructions.
The recipes I have made turned out well and as expected.
I think if you buy one book about baking it should be this-The Hairy Bikers never let you down.
I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS AND THE BOOK OF PIES.They are My most used and appreciated cookbooks.
Thanks boys for another classic.
11 Comment| 63 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 April 2012
I bought this book because like many others, I've been watching the TV series of the HB's 'Bakeation', and I've been enjoying it with every passing episode. My wife and I have only made two recipes so far, but we have been thoroughly pleased with both.

Therefore, I cannot comment on the entirety of the book (though kudos to those of you who have already baked every recipe), merely on the recipes I've made and how it ties into the series.

:-)

I did bake the Luilakbollen out of a desire to do something other than Hot Cross buns for Easter, and I was pleased with the result. My wife made the Apple Strudel and it was also quite tasty. So with regards to the process and end result of these recipes, I am quite happy with the book.

I read some of the comments which criticized the lack of adherence to the pure essence of some of the recipes, and I would agree with them if the HB's were making authentic representations of the recipes.

However, watch out for the fact that both in the TV show and on the book the HB's do mention that many of the recipes are their personal interpretations on classic dishes from the countries visited, and as such may not be to everyone's liking of how a traditional dish from one country or another might be made (particularly those who are from those countries and have a strong sense of culinary traditionalism).

Overall, the book is an enjoyable experience, so long as the reader (and baker) remembers that it is not a guide to the traditional recipes of these European countries, but rather a travel diary sampling from both tradition and interpretation/reinterpretation of the baking/culinary traditions of these countries.

:-)