on 13 August 2012
I really like The Hairy Bikers, even though they are a couple of wallies, albeit extremely likeable and enthusiastic ones!

I never miss anything they do on TV, although it never ceases to amaze me just how silly they are willing to make themselves look, all in the interest of entertainment!

I think though that ultimately what it comes down to for me is (and many other fans of the dynamic duo) that they firstly seem like genuinely nice and funny guys, and that secondly they regularly cook the type of food most people really like; hearty food that isn't too complicated to emulate, but that usually must be made or eaten in moderation because of their apparent desire to stay away from anything healthy.

Another thing that sets The Hairy Bikers cookery books apart from many others, is that it is only ocassionally that they include recipes I would be unwilling to try.

Anyway on to this book, 'The Hairy Bikers' Food Tour of Britain'.

I thoroughly enjoyed the series that this book accompanies, if memory serves me correctly it ran for a total of thirty episodes; it ran each evening, Monday to Friday, for six weeks. I loved the way in which each episode concentrated on a particular region, and the dishes that have been handed down from generation to generation; each episode culminated in a 'cook-off' between The Hairy Bikers and one of the regions more respected chefs, each presenting their own interpretation of a regional dish to a small discerning group of diners to vote for, some The Bikers won and some they lost (which was refreshing to see).

This book follows the same format, and includes a section on every region they visited, beginning with some brief background and then the recipes and cooking instructions fot the two 'cook-of' meals from that episode; there are also additional recipes included of some of the more popular/mouthwatering dishes the show featured from each episode.

The book is well laid out, as always with Hairy Biker books, and is full of beautifully photographed food; I particularly like the way in which they word the recipes, they are always clear, well detailed and 'jargon' free.

My only slight criticism with this book is that I didn't like some of the recipes provided by the regional guest chefs; I think that sometimes in their attempt to beat The Hairy Bikers they produced dishes that were over complicated and not in keeping with the theme of Hairy Biker books, there are several such dishes contained within that I would never try. Apart from this a recommended purchase.
on 17 July 2010
I bought this for my husband in the hope of reviving a long-lost liking for cooking (he has not cooked for me in years!!) He loves watching the Hairy Bikers series because they are so 'real' and funny, their food is honest and not too fussy. This is exactly what the book is too! We have tried several of the receipies already - all of which are a hit with the kids (In itself a suprise!) the food can be dressed up to be fancy if you want it or simple if you prefer. Easy instructions to follow (my 16 yr old daughter cooked the Fidget pie with great sucess), helpful hints and tips, and fantastic tasting food that will easily become family favourites! I have now ordered the other Hairy Biker cookbooks and looking forward to trying them out too!
on 3 October 2017
Another good 'un from The Hairy Ones, although a lot of their meat recipes use apples (which my daughter thinks is gross, but I'm working on it!) I'm spoilt for choice here and can't wait to try some of the indulgent puddings (bet my daughter won't say no to those) :)
on 27 December 2009
After watching the series, the book was a must have, due to the fact that there are too many recipes to write down off the telly. It's a brilliant modern way to cook traditional British food using simple terms, and plenty of mouth watering pictures and easy to cook recipes. There are so many handy hints and tips on doing some simple things that, as a beginner to cooking, I found very useful.

Keith Moat.
on 21 November 2017
They produce good cookbooks
on 6 February 2018
product as described
on 31 October 2009
If you like to support local producers and enjoy the recipes thereof, as well as visiting places of interest in relation to that theme, then this is a book for you. We take it whenever we travel to different parts of Britain and have used the information as a guide for hotels and local restaurants too, all with success. It is a well illustrated, practical book with all the recipes used in the series presented in the usual Hairy Bikers' style. Would make a good historical reference book in years to come. Would also make a good gift to send to those living overseas: to ex-pats as a reminder of what they are missing or to the locals as an overview of what is out there in our nation.
on 26 January 2018
Great book from the guys
on 28 October 2009
I bought this book because I had watched the full TV series. The recipes are well written and easy to understand, quite a different format from any other cookery books I have.
The programme gave the impression that some of the recipes were quite complicated, but in fact this is not the case.
It was good to see all the local produce from around Britain being used and also traditional dishes from each County, Si and Dave made it an experience not to miss.
I would recommend this book for anyone who enjoys cooking and also for people who do not, to give it a try.
on 4 November 2016
The whole family is a fan of the Hairy Bikers' dishes. And this book is great!