on 25 May 2013
Absolutely loved the characters in this book! Every single one draws you in and had their own little storyline so you could imagine them having their own troubles that come with this city. The story was heavier to read than 'Shadow of the Wind' and slightly confusing in places esp when the storyline comes into play about witches and witchcraft but the wonderful writer 'Carlos Ruiz Zafon' is so gifted as a writer to hold you as a reader and trust that you will make it through the storylines that sometimes spirals but no less a great story. Very intrigued to read 'The prisoner of Heaven' with the hint of why the character David Martin went through these experiences.
on 14 April 2017
A good read, book condition as stated, speedy delivery and well packaged. After reading the first of the two this was a must. Recommend you try the Shadow of the Wind first.
on 24 May 2017
It is an incredibly well written book, but sombre and sad, like it's predecessor. Everyone fares badly and there are few happy endings.
I would not read it and expect to be happy and joyous afterwards. I'll save the 3rd book for when I having a lot of fun.
on 27 March 2017
I fell in love with the first book in the series and wasn't convinced that Carlos Ruiz Zafon could make an even better book. I was totally wrong he writes with passion and detail. A wonderful book to read.
Once more author Carlos Ruiz Zafon has produced a magically brilliant book about books with `The Angel's Game' being a supernatural saga, an action-packed thriller, a detective novel and a love story. - and perhaps even a philosophical or religious treatise. It tells a dark and gripping tale with narrative moving at a cracking pace and introducing something new on almost every page. Though a stand-alone novel `The Angel's Game' (about writers) follows from Zafon's first book `The Shadow Of The Wind' (about readers), but for me it is not quite as good. This is partly because, in spite of its compelling nature, it reads as though at least two translators were employed with varied language that is generally elegant and stylish yet sometimes colloquial and abrupt. However the main drawback is the book's proliferation of sub-plots (of which some are left unexplained) and their complicated inter-relations. This complexity undermines any possible plausible solution and for me it leaves the ending somewhat weak. I suspect author Zafon is deliberately provoking readers to use their imaginations and to arrive at their own conclusions. I discussed this with my wife and we had both interpreted things differently - so read it yourself - you won't be disappointed.
44 Comments| 93 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 April 2017
A much darker tale than Shadow of the Wind but none the worse for it. A mystery with a supernatural element that let a few unanswered questions. I quite enjoy that aspect to a book though. Parts, were very powerful and moving and in the whole an excellent story.
on 22 August 2016
David Martin is working as an office junior for a Barcelona newspaper when the star writer, Pedro Vidal, puts in a good word for him which opens opportunity for a break as a writer and leads to Martin getting his own desk and column. After experiencing jealous hostility from colleagues, Martin leaves the paper and is employed to write 'penny dreadfuls' under a pseudonym. The pay is barely enough to sustain his meagre lodgings and existence.
He gets an offer he can't refuse from a mysterious French publisher, Andreas Corelli sealed with an angel. He moves into a boarded up, neglected house that he has felt drawn to for years and is sucked in to a series of events that are enticing, mysterious, dark and seem connected with violent deaths of those around him.
This is a superb gothic tale of mystery, horror and suspense set in the early part of the twentieth century. Like David Martin, I was drawn into the story. I enjoyed this book very much, its dark, supernatural elements, the recurring theme of decay and complexity of characters. Recommended.
on 2 February 2012
From the outset I was riveted to The Angel's Game, which is the follow up to The Shadow of the Wind. However, it is a sort of prequel as it deals with the generation preceding that of the protagonist in The Shadow of the Wind. As I said, it started off very well, but at over 500 pages it is a long novel and as the story became more complicated I kept losing the thread or the willingness to keep reading. In the end, it did not live up to my expectations.

The Angel's Game is set in Barcelona in the 1920's and 1930's with the protagonist being a struggling writer, David Martin, who churns out cheap, trashy thrillers. THE ANGEL'S GAME masterfully and ironically invokes some authors' gripes, the unpredictability of critics and Murphy's Law: when David publishes two books concurrently and one is rubbished while the author of the other that he has ghostwritten is lauded.

David Martin is approached by a mysterious figure to write a book. I liked that Barcelona becomes a character in itself, as in Zafon's other books, both his imaginary settings like The Cemetery of Forgotten Books, as well as the streets.

Zafón takes us again into a gothic setting, creating an adventure of intrigue, suspense, romance, unlikely ghosts and violence.
on 10 December 2012
I must say I had decided about half way through that I must preferred The Shadow of the Wind to this. But over the closing chapters I could not put the book down, the last two hours flew by as I read it. You gradually see how it intertwines with the other books, in places I found this a bit lazy, but I think that helps to build the story and when you get to the end you see how important it is.

I think it's all a case of each to his own, in my case I really love these books and the way they are translated. My friend has read the Spanish version and also loves them.
on 15 March 2011
Cor, I'm mad. I feel like writing to the author or publisher, not only for my money back, but for the 3 hours I spent, obsessively reading the last half of this book (unwashed children, hungry cats, unanswered phone) only to find that nothing is answered.

From the moment I started to read The Angel's Game, I realised that we were in the hands of a master - I have since discovered that it is a translation and enormous kudos must go to the translator - from a nuts and bolts writing point of view, this is superb.

However - the plot twists and turns, frequently making one unable to suspend disbelief and ending in a woolly, completely unsatisfactory manner. Perhaps the author and publisher felt that the fame Zafor realized for his earlier book (which I have not read) excused sloppy and ill-conceived structure?

I'm afraid to say that The Angel's Game is a meandering story that whilst both gripping and visually fascinating will leave most readers at the end, gritting their teeth with irritation and feeling both confused and short-changed.
44 Comments| 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse