on 31 December 2017
I bought this book because it was about Exmoor - a place that I regularly visit. I'd heard that the book hadn't gone down well with the locals and I wanted to read for myself the reasons. Liz writes in a very conversational style so the book's easy to read. I don't agree with her take on the local town and the shops but as I don't live in London I suspect my comparison is relative to where I do live.

When things went badly for her, I thought; what on earth would I do. Well, I can tell you: I wouldn't have bought a rundown property in an area I didn't really know that well. However, reading about how she just about survived was entertaining. I suspect that if she wrote the book (or the series of articles on which it's based) after more time had passed she might have held back a little. Maybe I'm being too kind? Anyway, it's a good book.
on 1 September 2016
Poor Liz, I've followed her misfortunes for years, but admire the way she always picks herself up. I would have thought the move to exmoor would be a no no for her, but she made a real go of it, I really enjoyed reading her experience on exmoor, having been there myself many times., hope she writes a similar book about her present home in the Yorkshire dales,
on 28 February 2018
I've enjoyed reading Liz's weekly column for a couple of years so thought I'd give this a go. I wasn't disappointed, it sums up life in the sticks very accurately, good and bad. I found myself chuckling at some parts as I've been there and done that so for me it was a great book.
on 17 February 2018
Arrived quickly. Good clean copy
on 19 January 2018
Great book to read was very amusing, could not put this down would nightly recommend! 😃😃
on 5 February 2014
Liz Jones really holds nothing back and at times you wish you could say" believe more in yourself".
I read her various articles in newspapers and I find her to be a very focused journalist
Would recommend this book, and wish her lots of success in her private life.
on 4 November 2015
Sent quickly. Unfortunately, I just moved here and the book is sadly pretty accurate. Cant stand her whining, pity me style of writing but this book made me laugh, no wonder it got the locals backs up, it's an everyday experience for me, I just dont write about it..
on 6 June 2015
I red liz in the mail newspaper and don't know the fact from the fiction, she seems to swing from bragging to the poor me syndrome, she gives to people then resents it and broadcasts it,doesn't seem happy wherever she is.
on 4 January 2015
Absolutely brilliantly and honestly written book. I wish I could write as well as this. Couldn't put it down. Thanks for your love of animals Liz.
2 people found this helpful
on 24 February 2013
The writing is just too crass for me. I would like to hear more about her move to the country and a lot less about her sad marriage. Maybe that will come - I am still reading it. But it would have been good for her to move away from the intimate details of her marriage much sooner.
2 people found this helpful