on 25 January 2016
I bought this after being impressed by the contents page and good reviews. I thought there would be an objective discussion about the different topics- what philosophers have said and how these thoughts have affected the way we live. No - just the author's vague ponderings. He assumes that the readers agree with lots of his thoughts. Really annoying and weird. The last chapter was bizarrely about Bertrand Russell's book 'History of Western Philosophy' - almost as if it was an apology for this book and a recommendation for a better book. Terrible. Even the section on 'People' which seems hard to go wrong with was written in a very dull manner. First time I've read this author - doubt I'll read him again.
on 20 December 2014
I've passed it on, but now I want it back! I was miffed by Grayling's dismissal of the "bane of religion". But he would say that, wouldn't he, and I was probably just being embarrassed by my own inability to subscribe to unconditional atheism. But I've seen him in the past - talking to Richard Holloway (no relative) at the Hay Festival, and on TV, and really, he's a lovely guy and his way of explaining moral, ethical and logical issues to a rabbit like me is overwhelmingly helpful. He loses one star for his lack of humility. Well, he's philosopher, for heaven's sake!
review image
on 7 February 2018
another interesting book by mr grayling.
on 21 August 2017
More short newspaper extracts...thought provoking.
on 21 August 2017
Gets you thinking on life.
on 16 August 2012
This book is so wonderful as it covers important and vital subjects in a clear manner, often making one think seriously about previously held opinions. This is a marvellous aid to clear thinking and I love him and am buying more of his books
4 people found this helpful
on 7 February 2018
Another book by A.C. Grayling -- well worth the purchase price -- Folks who have read this book , may just be interested in my book " Ecstatic Essays "-- only a small book --less than 10,000 words also available on Amazon !
on 20 December 2014
good
|0Comment|Report abuse
on 2 June 2015
Book stated it was used and in very good order. When I came to read the 1st chapter I found pages ripped out of the book! Great start and now I can't finish reading the chapter on happiness. Not happy.
on 14 February 2011
I haven't finished this yet - am dipping in and out as it's a selection of essays - but the ones I have read so far are motivating, though provoking and illuminating.
3 people found this helpful