Customer reviews

on 26 August 2013
Bought this as a present for a family member so I have no idea what the book is like personally but I have been told that this is a very good book.
on 7 January 2010
This is an absolutely delightful, engrossing book which is very hard to put down. Michel Roux jr details the various stages of his upbringing and culinary training, with revealing insights into his family life and how it integrated with the Roux family's ethic regarding food right from the start.

The book is a mixture of autobiography and recipes, and both aspects reveal an honest, down-to-earth and humourous personality which one might not expect given the cool, disciplined magnificence of Le Gavroche. The recipes vary between simple and challenging, but in many instances one gets the feeling that the results are achievable, if the ability is present, rather like a musician interpreting a classical piece.

Michel's tales are full of fun and intrigue, outlining the antics of youth, the sexual tension in the kitchen, and of course the ongoing pursuit for the highest standards in food. The book is also revealing in its insights into how a restaurant is run, with interesting and varied accounts spanning the author's own career.

This is a fascinating and utterly joyous book, which succinctly represents the sheer talent and charisma of this wonderful chef and his love of food.
11 Comment| 38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 January 2013
This was a Xmas present and although I wasn't sure at first, the memoirs and stories are very cool and made this man even more endearing that I already thought from watching him on masterchef. Having eaten at The Gavroche and enjoyed it, it was great to know more about the history. Being French myself, you will appreciate his very French point of view on life in UK and cooking in UK, which I agree with and laughed a lot.
Some nice recipes too, better than another one of his books I already have.
on 9 December 2010
Great book, bought for my brother as a Christmas gift. Arrived quickly, well packaged and as described. I had to have a sneaky read before wrapping it up and it was very good, a biograpy which was interesting and some lovely recipes intermixed. I would recommend for anyone who loves cooking and/or Masterchef.
on 27 April 2011
I love this book!!! When I recieved the book it was very well packaged and the book is bigger than i expected. The book is very good quality. It has many photos of Michel roux and his friends and family and during his biography he also suggests a lot of simple recipes. The book even has a ribbon thing to use as a book mark! I couldn't stop reading the book and it is very hard to stop reading

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED + Good value for money!!!
on 5 August 2011
My first impression was that this book is much heavier in weight than I imagined it would be...and indicates how much it actually contains ! Sweet, gentle memories of all sorts, inter-mixed with recipes. To say the book is appetizing, is no understatement. It made me want to take the lady in my life to Le Gavroche, partly because I know she'd appreciate all that it offers. May I just say that Le Gavroche was one of the Greatest experiences of my life; and we will enjoy trying some of the recipes from the book even though you'd have to be pretty good to make them as incredibly delicious as Michel can. Even a novice would get great inspiration from this book.
on 10 April 2011
It is a very informative and interesting book, a sort of autobiography cum cook book. There are lovely recipes which don't look too complicated and which I am eager to try out. There is plenty to read and gives an insight into Michael Roux. The sections on his early life are very interesting. He has worked very hard to get where he is now. I would like to own more of his books as a result of buying this one.
on 20 February 2012
A lovely book, allowing us to glimpse a warm and extremely hard working man hiding behind a facade of a formidable two star chef. The recipes are well worth trying even in an average domestic kitchen!
on 6 December 2009
This book is a love letter to food and the practice of gourmet tastes. Throughout there are personal recollections and insights from a very distinguished chef. I particularly enjoyed his recollections about cooking for Mitterand and the various idiosyncracies of his eating habits.

The recipes range from basic level (but insightful) to things too complicated for this amateur cook to try, but it's a pleasurable and insightful read.

Sherlock Holmes and the Underpants of Death
on 31 December 2011
A great gift for my foody-partner. A good mix of biography and personal insight into this 'master chef', as well as inspiring and original recipes.