on 7 December 2003
All that subscribe to religion - or astrology - will probably find it offensive. Others will find that it provides a refreshing return to fact and reasoning. With self-contained chapters it makes for an excellent bedtime/holiday/airport read.
Beware! The more you read books written by Dawkins the more you will feel sorry for those that follow religion. Sorry if that sounded patronising.
on 21 September 2009
This is, put simply, one of the most absorbing and accessible books on science that I have ever read - Richard Dawkins has a talent for making his readership comfortable and engaged with complex issues and ideas, even if they may not have a great aptitude for or interest in science. Not that this volume is exclusively concerned with scientific matters, it is a fine collection of writings on a wide range of subjects. Ideal for dipping into, 'A Devil's Chaplain' should prove enlightening and entertaining for the scientist and layman alike.
on 16 November 2009
Every now and again you stumble across a book that is so well written it is a pleasure to read. Such is the case with "A Devil's Chaplin" which reads like a series of short stories, but is made up of various reviews, articles and obituaries penned by Richard Dawkins. Having read all his other books I was delighted to discover one that I had missed. The perfect bed-time read except you won't want to put it down!
on 14 March 2006
When Dawkins writes about evolution he opens up the true wonder of Darwins discoveries, and in this arena he is one of the best writers by far, fully deserving to hold the chair for the Public Awareness of Science. However, when he gets on to religion his writing sometimes leaves me cold. As an atheist I agree wholeheartedly with much that he has to say about religion, I just think he sometimes takes that little step too far and makes claims about religion that are incredible generalisations.
Having said that one of my favourite chapters in this book is "Dolly and the cloth heads" a seering indictment of the unwarranted primacy awarded to religious representatives in this world, but then one of my least favourites is the chapter dealing with the world trade centre attack; I don't know, but I just don't feel you can simply blame this monstrosity solely on religion.
So to finish if you love Dawkins because of his evolution writing stay away from this book; there's nothing in it that isn't covered by his other books. If you love Dawkins for his anti-religious invective then this is probably for you.
Yet again Dawkins provides us with another book of clear, lucid arguments and great science to leave you awe inspired at the wonder of nature. This is a collection of his various writings and it includes articles, book reviews, eulogies and personal writings. In my opinion it is better than 'The Single Helix' by Steve Jones (that also provides many short scientific articles), as Dawkins is allowed enough space to develop his ideas for you to fully engage with them and appreciate his points. The fact that they are collated from a variety of sources, from over the years, means that the topics are varied and not restricted to x amount of pages per article. Something Steve Jones was unable to achieve in his book. Dawkins argues as keenly as ever and his passion comes across on every page. If you're a fan of Dawkins you won't be disappointed with this book, and if you're new to his work then this isn't a bad place to start.

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.
on 16 July 2014
Great variety of topics. In my opinion, a must-have for anyone willing to sit down and have a serious think.

Dogmatic readers of this review: Get it, give it a chance. If you finish it and still hold true to your beliefs, isn't that more affirming of your beliefs as a whole?
on 26 May 2014
Another awesome book from one of my favourite authors. Every time I read a Richard Dawkins book I learn so much. It's strange how you can think you understand a subject, only to have you mind blown when a expert properly explains it to you.
on 9 April 2010
A great selection of writing and I bought this book having read 'The God Delusion' which was fabulous. I do think though that whilst I admire and support Richard Dawkins I feel he shows his lack of any sort of understanding of 'spririt' Everything is brought down to scientific evidence and if a subject or element has none then he will refer to it in a sceptical manner. I have no problem with this as I can take that side of his writing and make my own mind up. I do worry that other more tender readers will be affronted or disappointed. Otherwise a very very good read.
on 16 June 2012
An essential for anyone studying it introduces the skills of challenging theory and seeking truth. Richard Dawking's books make compelling reading and encourage us to have independence of thought.
on 15 May 2012
The second of his books I have read (started reading). Witty, informative and does what it says on the tin. Covers a nice range of topics. An enjoyable read