on 4 December 2017
Haven't quite finished this, but usual high standard from Michael.
on 3 October 2011
For admirers of Michael Palin's travel tales, this book is an essential companion. If you have seen the TV programme you can relive the experience and hear Michael in your head as you read. His style of writing is so fluid and engaging that the pages turn themselves.
on 16 August 2014
Love MP
on 5 April 2015
Well written and engaging, resulted in me reading my first Hemingway!
on 24 October 2015
Brilliant love it
on 30 March 2010
This was the one edition in Michael Palin's series of travel books that I didn't already have.

In fact I usually go along to one of the book signings when a new one is released. However I was away for the whole of 1999 and 2000 and was unaware of Michael Palin's Hemingway Adventure until a year ago by which time it was out of print.

I had recently read the paperback edition and was determined to complete my set of travelogues.

Consequently I was delighted to be able to obtain a brand new copy in perfect condition from this Marketplace Seller.

I couldn't have been more delighted with my purchase.
on 8 November 2005
I really like Michael Palin's travel documentaries, both the BBC TV programs and the books based on the programs. He has a knack for finding interesting people and places, and he presents it all with wit and charm and a personal engagement that is beguiling. The books are beautiful with lots of great color pictures, most taken by photographer Basil Pao.
This book is based on the BBC TV program where Mr. Palin traveled to all of the places where Ernest Hemingway had lived and traveled. One can't really say the program "follows Hemingway's footsteps" because some sequences are presented out of order, but it's all there:
Chicago and northern Illinois (Hemingway's youth)
Italy (WW I and duck hunting)
Paris (Hemingway's start as an author)
Spain (running with the bulls, bullfighting)
Key West (fishing, boxing)
Africa (hunting, airplane crash injuries)
Cuba (fishing, Hemingway's home for 20 years)
Montana and Idaho (dude ranches, Hemingway's death)
Each chapter that describes a place almost invariably leaves the reader smiling and thinking that it would be interesting to visit that place oneself.
Incidentally, my high opinion of this book (and the associated TV program) has nothing to do with any interest in Hemingway's authorship. I read "The Old Man and the Sea" when I was in high school, and have not read anything by Hemingway since. Still, I find his life interesting, and I think that Michael Palin has made a great travelogue by visiting the various places and telling about Hemingway's life.
I can especially recommend the audio version of this book, which is read by Michael Palin himself. He does a great job of delivering the dialog of the various people, all with their different accents.
Of course, the audio version of the book does not include the beautiful photographs, so the very best strategy might be to get both, and listen to the audio version while commuting and then look at the pictures when you get home.
Rennie Petersen
6 people found this helpful
on 29 December 1999
This is another good book to come from Micheal Palin. He is undoubtedly television's greatest travel writer and presenter and this book ( and television series ) is another example of that . It is well written in Palin's unique style and once it is picked up it is hard to put down ( I had finished it by Boxing day ) However it is not quite as good as his earlier works. One almost feels that this was one adventure too many. Micheal Palin is not, by any stretch of the imagination remotely like Ernest Hemmingway. This makes it difficult for Palin to accurately trace Hemmingway's life and as a result the book seems a little distant and lifeless. This contrasts to Palin's earlier books which were written during true adventures, which shows in the way in which the books were written. However this was a good read and I would reccomend it to anyone with an interest in either Palin, Hemmingway or travel.
3 people found this helpful
on 24 October 1999
I hesitate to write this review -- I have a lot of respect for Palin's travel work, and don't yet have the benefit of seeing the accompanying show.
What's more, I think he's gotten stronger with each effort, showing increasing confidence in his voice and demonstrating a greater willingness to let his humour shine through.
Until now. This is new territory for Palin -- in which he covers an author instead of a geography -- and it's an author he respects but who is, quite frankly, quite different from him.
Palin presents himself as a gentle and likable sort of fellow; Hemingway was anything but that.
While I read and basically enjoyed the book (thus, three crowns), I'd encourage others to start with one of his other works first.
2 people found this helpful
on 9 December 2007
This is not just an excuse for a travel book. In the normal style of a Palin travelogue the narrative is rich in descriptive detail bringing the landscape into a 3D for the reader. But the diversity of the romantic locations are cleverly used as a powerful canvas to paint the life of Ernest Hemingway on.

Palin has researched this in some depth and is obviously a fan of the writing. This book appears to be a labour of love and not just a cheap stocking filler. For those of us who would like to know more about Ernest, his books and his life this is a good place to start. Its like asking a trusted friend for advice on a complex subject. Armed with this advice the reader will be encourage to make their own judgement on a complicated man and his extraordinary life.
One person found this helpful