Customer reviews

VINE VOICEon 23 October 2010
This is a book I keep returning to as my 'alternative country' interest widens. Unfortunately I understand the magazine that it draws from is now defunct(although website was still there the last time I looked). Published in 05
there is the problem of it dating but as I'm still catching up with most of the artists featured I reckon I'll be using it for a while yet. Its introduced me to a series of brilliant artists, namely:Drive by Truckers, Jay Farrar, Los Lobos, Lucinda Williams,Jon Dee Graham, Alejandro Escoveda, Kasey Chambers, Ray Wylie Hubbard, Buddy and Julie Miller and Gillian Welch. I've been so taken by most of these you can find the reviews I've felt the need to offer on Amazon.
Basically the book has 26 well written chapters on the likes of the above. They summarise the artists' career to date,often including excerpts from a 'recent' interview. Others whose albums haven't hit the spot for me include Wilco, Roseanne Cash, Iron and Wine with the jury still out on Paul Burch, Jayhawks and Ryan Adams.
I still have quite a few to go......
Since there is no definitive guide on this music, the best attempt is Brian Hinton's South by South West, this a very useful introduction.
on 4 April 2015
A shame the actual paper magazine folded - the website is still worth a gander though - some good articles in this compilation