on 16 July 2017
This book came highly recommended through colleagues - thoroughly enjoyed it. Really made me think about classic assumptions around setting and lesson planning. Uses familiar terminology without all the edu-speak. Gives some nice classroom examples but apparently the follow-up has more so I've ordered Mathematical Mindsets. Very digestible and really recommend it!!
on 17 September 2017
Super fast service. Highly recommended. Thank you!
on 29 April 2017
On time, as expected, no hassles, Happy
on 9 June 2017
Great book, very user-friendly, not over the top tech talk that gets dull. Easy to read and very useful points made.
on 8 February 2016
Quality Book - easy read
on 16 July 2011
As someone who has just finished her PGCE year in mathematics, this book has been very helpful. I agree totally with the majority of what Jo Boaler says in this book, and there are activities which I can use, or which have given me inspiration as to how to create my own, following my beliefs of maths teaching.
on 26 August 2011
As a practising maths teacher I bought this book out of interest. The title had me 'hooked'.

The traditional teaching techniques which helped me, and many like me, to become a chartered engineer come in for a lot of criticism. As such, I found myself tempted to dismiss all within.

However, I kept reading, and found myself agreeing more and more with content.

The following points made are without doubt truthful:-
1) We do spend an enormous amount of time testing pupils, teachers and schools (with exam results).
2) The pressure put upon schools (and hence teachers) to achieve exam results does make the classroom teacher 'teach the exam paper'.
3) Not enough time is spent upon maths in a practical environment, in which the pupils have to analyse the everyday problems, plan out what needs to be done and produce the necessary maths to solve them.

The book author advocates group work allowing pupils to communicate and compare techniques making the maths room more like a science laboratory. She does unfortunately not give the missing 'how to deal with pupils that do not want to work'.

Despite my critical comments I found this book a thoroughly good read and look forward to trying out ideas and concepts within. As a person who seldom reads this type of work, this is praise indeed!
on 16 May 2015
Every primary and secondary teacher of maths should read this. Maths is in a dreadful state in England, compounded by the interference of our idiotic department for education. Exceptionally well written, relevant and thought provoking. If you are a teacher or headteacher I defy you to challenge Jo Boaler's philosophy. Even if you are measuring your success in mathematics by results, and your results are good, are you actually developing a love if this fascinating and enjoyable subject? Check out her podcast on BBC radio 4 - The Educators. It'll make you think.
on 3 September 2014
Having been teaching 10 years this book just introduced some ideas which are now daily practise in schools. Was hoping as a summer read I would find some inspirational ideas for the new year but sadly not, just research discussing benefits of things like AfL
on 18 February 2010
I have just finished reading this book and it is fabulous. It brings to life the new Numeracy framework and is packed with lots of useful ways of improving the quality of teaching in the classroom. This book is also focused on the teacher - parent - child partnership and it explains how each has to play their part.

The book compares how excellent teaching in America compares to the traditional teaching in the UK and why lots of lessons lack the sparkle children need to aspire.

It also has lots of shocking facts about the state of education in maths and why this is going to have an every increasing impact on the future generations and their ability to work.

I would recommend this to anyone who teaches maths, have children who are teaching maths, or children who are having difficulty in really enjoying maths. It is also a excellent read in itself - I can read it, while juggling a newborn sleeping baby on my lap - so it must be quite easy to digest!