on 13 February 2013
I didn't get an opportunity to use this for a natural birth as I'd hoped but the techniques were still so useful during the entire labour & birth process.
on 18 January 2013
I was really anxious and fearful about childbirth in the last trimester; although previously i have had a straight forward delivery with my first child five years ago. Reading this book completely calmed my nerves and changed my mindset. I would highly recommend it and the cd. A really revolutinary method.
on 25 October 2013
Realty good theory with led to a pain free birth but more importantly one I is enjoyed!! I think you need to take from it what you want as I don't think I agreed with every page but overall a fantastic concept that helped me anyway! I did so the course as well
on 16 January 2016
I envy all those women who had easy births. I read all these books on hypnobirthing, listened to tapes and afirmations and thought it was enough to believe that giving birth is natural and easy.
I thought I was going to die and if I was close to a hospital I would have wanted all the pain killers that exist. In the end I managed by just focusing on fast breathing and keeping my eyes focused on my midwife's eyes. Trying to breathe slowly seemed to keep me in my brain, to keep me in control. But what was needed was to let go and become a wild animal.
on 10 May 2013
This book has made me feel much more confident about labour and birthing and I almost feel as if i'm looking forward to the experience rather than fearing it. The Cd really does help you relax and I will take all the relaxation and breathing techniques into the delivery room with me.
on 13 May 2013
I am reading the book, which is very encouraging and I can see how it would be very helpful during birth. I am now doing the course too with a hypnobirthing teacher where I will learn and practice all the relaxation, breathing and visualisation techniques. The book outlines all this too.
on 12 February 2015
Great book guiding you through the history/philosophy of hypnobirthing, useful breathing, relaxation and visualisation techniques. Accompanied by a CD. Has helped me feel prepared for the birth of our first child.
on 31 December 2015
I have been looking into hypnobirthing for my firstborn who is due this coming March, and found what I saw quite appealing. It has always been a mystery to me why humans suffer so much pain in birth, when you can observe cats and cows and horses birth without much ado. This theory promised an answer, and as I have some experience with managing pain and distress through hypnosis, anyway, I felt this is something to give a go.

As my little one is not yet born, I can really not tell you yet if it will work, or work for me, at least. But I can tell you that this book almost completely put me off the whole idea. The first few pages are quite interesting, birthstories, some historical background, but then it quickly goes downhill.

The author is very intent on pushing her courses through this book, as well as her downloads that you can purchase through her website. She will introduce something, say, her Rainbow Relaxation. She will then say something non-specific such as: This relaxation will lead you through all the colours of the rainbow, first red, then blue, then... whatever. And you'll be like, OK, where is the script to this? Is it on the CD that is enclosed? Nope, it is not. You have to buy it separately.

And this is not a cheap book to begin with. I got precisely this edition because it contained a CD, and I thought that would at least get me started before the hypnobirthing class that I had booked through the NHS. But it was a complete waste of money. It doesn't really offer you much detail in terms of techniques, except for the breathing. It keeps referring you to her classes or to buying her downloads.

All in all, it is really only a moderately useful book for looking up things you learned in your class, but you'll get a hand-out, anyway, so why bother? Probably you don't need to.

In addition, the aggressive sales strategy has put a severe kink in my optimism that this method can actually work. After all, if someone is so desperate to sell, that's usually because it is no good. But we will see...

Wish me luck!
on 3 March 2010
We bught this book when i was 20 weeks pg and used it to prepare for the birth. We worked quite hard but it paid off, I had a homebirth using only TENS and a birth pool for pain management, and i believe I managed so well and laboured so fast (8 hours for 1st baby) because of the techniques in this book. Would highly recommend.
on 13 April 2013
Great book, even if you just read about the history of birthing to be empowered by the choices we now have. The section about how the muscles of the uterus work was fantastic. The meditations are great, we did a course too which think is really needed too.