The Life That I Have
Format: Hardcover|Change

on 3 December 2017
Got this book for my wife and she was thrilled
on 2 December 2017
Love the words and sentiment and history
on 4 September 2017
Lovely prayerful and one to treasure ! Makes a lovely gift!
on 30 November 2014
Beautiful .present for my wife.
on 20 September 2017
Given asa a present
on 13 July 2001
This book is an illustrated version of the poem written by Leo Marks and made famous in the film about the SOE agent Violette Szabo (Carve her Name with Pride). It's a moving poem that seems to touch most people. The drawings are simple but effective. This little volume - only a few pages - would make a nice little gift that would last much longer than a bunch of flowers! Leo Marks's book "Between Silk and Cyanide" gives the background to the story of the poem.
0Comment| 79 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 2 November 2010
I first heard this poem in "Carve Her Name With Pride" over 30 years ago and it has stayed with me. The book is beautifully illustrated and a delight to own.
on 24 December 2012
This small book stretches Leo Marks' wonderful, short poem to exceptional length, by containing only a few lines on each page. If all you want is the poem, find it on the WWW, and print it. This book version might be suitable as a gift for a loved one. But, perhaps best of all might be to buy the book "Violette Szabo: The Life that I Have", which presents the poem in context.
on 4 January 2014
I purchased this book for my wife for Christmas. Unfortunately she passed away 2 months late. It was read at her funeral and I purshased extra copies for my friends in her memory.
on 25 September 2011
This must be one of the most beautiful love poems to come out of the second world war and with such a unusual and exciting story behind it . Written by Leo Marks and thoughtfully illustrated by his wife it's a book I will keep forever. I am reading this poem at my daughter's wedding next year and will be carrying this attractive book just in case I forget any lines!