Customer reviews

on 14 July 2017
Informative and helpful but sometimes obsolete.
on 11 May 2016
Brilliant book. John Fisher knows what he is talking about when it comes to dogs and dog training.
on 16 October 2016
Absolutely brilliant informative book for all dog owners well worth a read
I'm sorry but due to a scientific background, my only belief in Homeopathy is that of the placebo effect & as such, I don't view it as a viable approach to take with animal issues, although I know that some folk will disagree.

John Fisher believed that Bach Remedies have a role in curing various negative behaviour patterns in dogs but I personally found this aspect spoiled the whole book for me as I lost respect for the author on learning his views on the subject.

There were also a number of aspects which I found distasteful (not to mention cruel) & to give an example was his view on retraining behaviour with taste aversion therapy.

The following text is taken from page 222 & quoted verbatim:

"First of all you need to obtain a cheap perfume which should be diluted quite considerably and then put into a spray bottle. Then you need a bottle of Bitter Apple and a tissue. Soak the tissue in Bitter Apple and put it on the floor. A few inches in front of this tissue, spray the floor with the diluted perfume and call your dog over. As it arrives at the tissue, its highly developed olfactory system will have registered the smell of the perfume. Pop the tissue into its mouth and hold it shut for a few seconds before allowing the dog to spit it out - which it surely will. Your dog will then sneeze, salivate, spit, rub its nose on the carpet, do anything to get rid of the awful taste."

Not the way I go about training a dog, irrespective of what he chews (too much Barbara Woodhouse for me).

Everybody is entitled to their opinions & all I'm trying to do with this review is make the future customer aware that dated aspects such as these are included in this book. Had I known prior to purchase, I wouldn't have bothered.

Hope this helps.
11 Comment| 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 July 2001
Read this book and you will understand and love your dog even more. I have bought so many copies and loaned them to other doggie people never to see the book again, so be warned, if you buy it, DON'T lend it, just recommend it!
on 29 November 2009
John Fisher offers us a quick and easy way to resolve all-manner of dog problems, behavioural and otherwise. Well written, sometimes amusing; this is a book worth having on the shelf.

Of particular note is the fact that the problems are set out in Alpha order so there is no thumbing through chapter after chapter for the thing that concerns you; it's straight to it.

Excellent - every dog owner, who is serious about unravelling their pets' problems, should order a copy.
on 5 April 2006
This book was recommended to me by a freind, and once I had brought it, I couldn't put it down. It was amazing how useful the facts and techniques are. A lot of my freinds who have dogs have silly little problems with the dogs behaviour that are covered in this book. The only problem that I had was I wanted to tackle ALL my dogs problems at once... but the book does recomend only 1 or 2 problems at a time. I don't know what I would have done without this books help & encouraging tips. If you have a troublesome pooch - this book is definatly for you.
on 29 April 2002
When reading this book you could be reading about your own dog, your friend's dog, your parent's old dog, or that dog up the road that really barks when you walk by. Fisher has caught them all to a tee. My only criticism was that it was maybe not practical enough, but it was certainly enlightening and educational. Both my colleague & I said after reading it, we now know why we have being doing it all wrong for all these years!
0Comment| 94 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 January 2010
I bought this book firstly as a dog owner and secondly as a canine psychology student.
Having read quite a few of Cesar Millan's books, I must say that this one is more informative on why dogs behave the way they do. It is not a problem solver as one may expect it to be, however it gives the reader insight into the dogs mind.
Overall it is a good book, a must-read for any dog owner and a good introduction to dog psychology. It is not a cookbook-type problem solve. However, through broadening my understanding of canine behaviour, it helped me in trying to find ways to communicate to my dogs what I want from them and at the same time to be kind and fair.
on 7 October 2008
This book is on the reading list for Compass Education and Training, it's packed with easy to read quality information. A must for any dog owner.