on 28 January 2012
The boys in school used to call me Orville due to my shyness. The teasing was kindly meant and I did see the compliment of being compared to the worlds cutest and most beloved duckling, but shyness has always been something that I struggle with, even now in my 30's. However, I am open to the idea that one can boost one's confidence and that shyness does not have to be a disability so it was with great interest that I bought a copy of Caroline Goyder's The Star Qualities.

The Star Qualities is basically a text book which gives the everyday Jane Doe the very same tools which celebrities use, thereby enabling you to shine like a star in your own life. It includes top tips from high profile celebrities such as Sophia Myles, Kate Winslet, Sarah Jessica Parker and Ewan McGregor, so its like having a team of mentors to hand who really do know what they are talking about. The author Caroline Goyder is an acting coach, but she has also trained politicians and broadcasters and her advice works in the real world - in her book, she passes on her knowledge and experience, giving readers the tools celebrities use to shine in areas of public speaking, interviews, parties, social events; as well as detailing how your appearance and ambitions can help boost your personal confidence. It really is an invaluable tome to have on hand and I often dip into this book for a quick boost and pep talk. I found the section on Impostor Syndrome very useful as I have experienced this several times in my career and it is nice to have the tools to deal with it. The whole book is easy to relate to and more importantly, to learn from.

While I will never enjoy being the center of attention, my confidence has increased since reading The Star Qualities and its great to have on my bookshelf for instant mentoring whenever I need it. This book will always give you a boost, a pep talk, a tool kit and a plan of action... for whatever your personal ambitions might be, confidence in yourself is always the key. Every shy person should read it.
on 21 October 2009
I bought this book as a gift for a friend, then ended up reading it myself and buying another copy.

I thought the book would be light on content, but no. The author clearly knows her stuff and enjoys her subject. There is obvious respect for the celebrities she interviews and their experience with 'star quality'.

The book flows with ease, giving insight into presence - what that is, how to achieve it, and how best to use it. Some brilliant interviewees - I especially enjoyed Alan Cumming, Helen Mirren and Frances McDormand. It's a real achievement to have interviewed such a list of celebrities in the first place.
on 11 October 2009
Confidence is the thing that makes the difference for all of us. I loved this book because it provides practical advice from some of the best actors around, on bringing more of it into your daily life. I've been reading a lot on brain science, and this book reminds me that the brain does not differentiate between something that is imagined, or something that is true. Acting provides a bridge to those powerful parts of ourselves that can help us achieve what we want in our lives.
on 26 October 2010
I am writing to sincerely thank you for the advice and wisdom offered in the Star Qualities. When I bought it around this time last year I was feeling down and actually browsing WHSmiths with another title in mind but this one caught my eye and after a glimpse of Tony Curtis's advice I was sold.
Thanks to your advice, in a nutshell I feel much happier and confident in myself and my life ( and have a greater appreciation of actors). I was delightfully surprised to find that the book did not contain some formula or list of dos and don't like so many other self-help books do, but instead focused on letting you be yourself. We hear the advice 'just be yourself' all the time but I didn't really understand it before reading the first chapter of your book. I have read and reread chapters. I have bought copies for my friends. I am in China right now teaching English for six months and brought the book with me and have been able to apply the advice to performing in the classroom. Thank you thank you thank you!
I felt that I must write to you as when people talk about the book that changed their life, yours is the one that had an amazing impact on mine.
on 30 December 2009
The Star Qualities by Caroline Goyder is one of those rare books that you just can't put down. It has an ease to read, is informative and relevant. Caroline's knowledge as a tutor at the Central School means she has a vast knowledge and experience, and shares this with the reader. Self-help books can often be just stating the obvious, but this book gives solid tips for those that may be shy or facing a new experience such as giving their first speech. The tips shared by the A list celebrities are both interesting and informative. A thoroughly entertaining book, in which you are left with solid tips that really will give you the toolkit to create your own star qualities.
on 4 October 2009
I was totally captivated by Star Quality, not only for its sensationally gorgeous book production values but for Caroline's immense insight and wisdom. It is a beautiful book and would make a sensational gorgeous gift to any woman.
on 18 October 2011
As someone who assists charities with staff development and leadership issues, this book delivered two powerful insights. The first was a really interesting insight into the acting profession. Repeated examples of military style discipline, shyness and self-doubt all challenged my preconceptions of actors. The second insight was unexpected. Through the course of the book I was struck by how well aligned the 'star qualities' were to the concept of emotional intelligence. Consequently, if you'd like to approach the concept of emotional intelligence from a new angle, this could be the book for you.
on 26 November 2010
I've really enjoyed The Star Qualities! It's a wonderful book to dip in and out of, and has some invaluable advice when it comes to improving your confidence in all areas of your life. Simple tips, like watching how much you nod your head when you're networking, or taking a moment before you enter a room, have been really useful. The book provides a mix of tips on body language tips and getting yourself into the right state of mind for any occasion.

For anyone that needs a confidence boost, this is a must read. The celebrity quotes are interesting and relevant too.
on 24 November 2011
I read this book as part of a self development strategy in conjunction with coaching from Caroline Goyder, the author. A few years ago I had a dismal attempt at addressing a large audience, so I was terrified of trying again. This time, when it came to my big presentation (which was also filmed), I was so well prepared that I completely forgot my nerves and had a fabulous time - and the queue of people wanting to speak with me afterwards took an hour to get through! Now I can't wait to do it again.

This book's messages kept going through my head and seemed to 'put me in the zone', especially the suggestion from the producer (focus on the audience, not yourself), and the tips from Kate Winslet and Helen Mirren. It really has helped me to face my fear and find I actually enjoy public speaking, something I never, ever thought I would do. And the confidence it has given me has had a very positive effect on all aspects of my business and personal life too.
on 22 January 2010
9 chapters of no nonsense advice on how to manage some of the most intimidating situations that we occasionally have the bitter-sweet (mis)fortune to experience. Star Qualities is an easy read with biggish print, excellent writing with credible source material thrown in. Great for when the chips are down or life gives you the jitters.

Dreading going to a glamorous/work/industry do but more importantly, would like to know how to enjoy the party? Does the Fear strike in the night before a job interview and it seems an impossible task? Hate giving a speech but can't get out of it?

Its essential to overcome how rubbish you think you are and instead focus on how good you want to be. Read words of wisdom with extracts from public interviews from super-achievers George Clooney and Michael Caine.Each chapter features first hand interviews with a clutch of experienced A-listers actors including Rufus Sewell and Helen Mirren.

Star Qualities gives you the I-Can-Do-It-Yes-I-Can kick-start that we all need from time to time. Stop feeling vulnerable and start making life work for you.

Each chapter ends with a personal checklist to jot down for future reference covering most of the scary personal events we encounter. Learn about all aspects of presentation; posture, tone of voice, gesture and most importantly, how to engage other people to get heard and be taken seriously. Discover how to make daunting situations manageable (possibly even fun), how to get on better with people, to become even more interesting and charming to your family, friends and colleagues. Buy this book, read it and refer to it for ever after.