on 8 November 2013
A fascinating collection of poems that can be used as an Advent calendar for grown up people: Janet Morley,s comments are sensitive and thought provoking. We plan to promote this book in our church and meet to discuss the poems we found most helpful.
on 13 December 2013
I am only on day 13 of this book but would highly recommend.

The poems are selected with skill and the commentaries have been unfailingly helpful. You don't need to be an expert in poetry, just interested and willing to give the poems some time which is a helpful discipline in itself in Advent. This is no smultzy collection. They are mostly hard hitting and brain-stretching. Highly commend to anyone who wants to think more deeply about the great themes of this time of year.
on 27 September 2014
I'm not a real poetry fan, but this book is stunning. Even down to the extraordinary tactile material which the front cover is made from it is a wonder. The poem on Dec 6th will stay with me for many years. This is a bit of a 'left of centre' choice for Advent, but I can't recommend it highly enough.
on 3 December 2013
A wonderful book for Advent. Full of beautiful poetry. Wonderful insights from Janet Morley, thought provoking and helping me to a deeper understanding of the poems. I would recommend it unreservedly.
on 4 January 2015
A lovely and unusual twist on the Advent Calendar theme ... one poem a day through the season of Advent, with notes and thoughts by Janet Morley on each poem, and the poet as well. Never didactic, she merely explains and guides, leaving you to find your own meanings. Nor do you have to be a Christian to enjoy this book and find it useful ... I'm an atheist, but I both enjoyed it and learned a lot from it, which surprised me. Highly recommended for everyone with an interest in poetry.
on 23 January 2016
An interesting and helpful book for Lent reading and through to Epiphany. Janet analyses a seasonal poem for each day and reflects on the message. My only disappointment was that I expected more biblical content in the reflections rather than a predominantly literary analysis. However, I enjoyed the journey through the season and was introduced to poems I had not previously read.
on 19 January 2015
Arrived promptly. A really lovely book. It inspired me to write my own poetry. Very much enjoyed the analysis of the poetry styles as well as the variety of poetry used to prepare for Christmas during Advent.
on 28 January 2014
Introduced to a wide variety of poems I did not know, with just the right amount of comment / interpretation. Brilliant choice, would be enjoyed by many, not just those with a Christian faith.
on 28 January 2014
This extraordinary slim book offers a poem and explanation of it to both analyze it and connect it to each day in Advent/Christmastide through Epiphany. The poems range from the familiar to the quite unknown, including ones by poets familiar and contemporary, American, English, and Welch, and ones unknown to many American readers, such as one by the Poet Laureate of Wales. The emotional range is remarkable also. It's a deeply spiritual, persuasive, and useful work.
on 24 January 2014
This book brings the inherent power of good poetry to good use in showing the wonder and glory of God's intervention in space and time