Customer reviews

God Lost & Found
Format: Paperback|Change

on 8 March 2017
Thoughtfully written - an insightful book.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 4 July 2012
Except in the most general terms, this book hardly touches on the tragedy of real spiritual loss ('spiritual desertions') which not a few earnest Christians encounter, when they feel quite inwardly forsaken by God. This is something better dealt with by older writers such as William Perkins, Richard Greenham, Samuel Willard, Timothy Rogers, Voetius and best of all Wesley, in sermons such as 'The Wilderness State'. Nor am I sure this book would have gone down particularly well in the Early Church or on Calvin's table but nevertheless...

.. on a lighter scale altogether and addressed to the wider audience with a variety of spiritual needs, this book makes for interesting, entertaining and worthwhile reading. It offers much practical and intelligent advice and succeeds pretty well in achieving its aim. It is both helpful and encouraging.
VINE VOICEon 1 August 2011
In God Lost and Found, Bishop John Pritchard looks at why we lose our faith in God and go through dark periods and at how we can rediscover God again. There is a freshness, joy and gentleness in tone and content, in navigating the gains and losses of life's pathway. The complexity and pain of our lives recieves a pastor-leaders consummate wisdom and presence without a trace of piety or cliche. The chattering culture and the dry well were areas of particular appreciation for this reader. Refreshing honesty, empathy and insight. Hope will be born again for the reader!
on 12 November 2013
If you're struggling with your previous version of faith in God, this book will help you. The author very intelligently accepts that in matters of faith one size does NOT fit all and he then proceeds to suggest other ways in which faith might be recovered and strengthened.

This is a sensible and immensely practical book, making but one stipulation - that of complete honesty with one's own self. This does, admittedly, take a bit of courage (but the gin should help with that!) which is well worth the effort. John Pritchard is one of the gentler Christian theologians I have encountered and coming originally from a very legalistic background, I had reasons aplenty to be fearful. This book makes a faith-based relationship with God easy to build. DON'T let anyone tell you it should be hard to be friends with God; I'm living proof that it isn't. I love Him and He loves me; Simples! Now, read this book and discover it for yourself.
on 25 April 2013
This book addresses many reasons why faith can easily be lost ,but also sets out spiritual exercises for re-finding faith. It is easy to read and has many relevant and modern illustrations. It also places Jesus Christ at the centre. This may seem illogical, but many similar books fail to do this. I have found it very useful and encouraging. Thank you, John Prichard .
on 13 September 2011
I had read a review of this book in a 'Book Magazine', which I picked up in my local bookshop. The review was good and my interest in the subject matter made me want to purchase it. However, I was still extremely surprised that I enjoyed this book so much. It was excellent and has helped me in my own understanding of those times when God does get a little lost. All I can say is thank you John Pritchard, Bishop of Oxford, for writing such an inspirational book. If it ever is published with a hardcover then I will certainly purchase it because I'm certain my paperback copy will be read often. Brilliant book!
on 11 February 2013
I have just read this book for the second time and will happily read it again. It is very reassuring to find so much that can be related to wherever you are on your spiritual journey, even if you feel you've lost the path. Plenty to think about and lots of help and encouragement along the way in this book. Brilliantly written.
on 14 June 2013
A sensible and cogent basis for faith. Easy to read and friendly to the general reader. I should like this to be widely read: so many of the objections to faith are met. This slim volume is a big boost to a life of fa and ith.
on 12 September 2013
An honest and informative read. I was able to identify with the examples in the first part and then explore useful solutions in the second half. I would recommend this to anyone their journey of faith wherever this feel God is.
on 6 March 2013
It reassures you that you aren't the only one who finds things difficult as in the first half he describes some of the turn offs we face. The second half has useful hints about possible ways forward.