Customer reviews

on 27 July 2016
The clue is in the title, “Genesis for everyone”, as such its not the theological middleweight that I was hoping for. It’s an excellent introduction for someone perhaps new to the faith, or new to Genesis. Its easy to read, easy to follow the thought process and therefore a good starting point for someone not familiar with the main themes of Genesis 17-50. The chapters in the book generally follow the same chapter breaks in the Genesis account which includes the authors personal translation of the Hebrew text and a brief commentary. The authors commentary is of similar size to the text and often includes the authors real life experiences. If you are looking for something reasonably straight-forward and not seriously deep this might be for you. I could see it being useful as an accompaniment to devotional reading. If you want something deeper or more detailed try Genesis by James McKeown from the two horizons commentary series.
on 5 April 2013
Having completed reading the New Testament for Everyone by Tom Wright (and before that the wonderful new daily bible study books by William Barclay) I have now moved on to the Old Testament by John Goldingay and have just completed Joshua, Judges and Ruth for Everyone. I am doing this to complement my separate daily reading of the bible itself. I have found the series excellent. Godlingay normally relates a story drawn from his own life and experience to develop the point found in the daily reading so it is a bit like listening to a good sermon. While I am well read in terms of christian reading I am not a theologian and find the level it is pitched at just right for me. Perhaps as another reviewer has said, it is not sufficiently in depth for a serious theology scholar but for anyone like me who wants a well written, intelligent and readable explanation of the Old Testament books I can happily recommend these.
on 1 March 2013
Interesting mixture of sound learning and folksy stories that helps with the explanation, just as good as the first part
on 16 March 2013
The book arrived promptly and proved to be very useful for the paper which I was writing at the time.
on 6 October 2011
Many people will be wondering if Goldingay's books are as good as Tom Wright's New Testament equivalent. They are! Buy them!
on 15 November 2016