Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop now

on 25 February 2009
The Things He Carried
An excellent book for Holy Week.The atmosphere created by/in these meditative chapters is quite amazing (imagine how it must have come over in St Paul's).
I had intended to use it as the basis of a Lent course for my house group but have decided to use it for personal reflection during Holy Week. It does not lend itself too readily for weekly use throughout Lent.
Bp Stephen Cottrell certainly succeeded with this 'big preach'.
on 24 April 2017
suitable for lent study but painful to read
on 28 May 2017
A most interesting readable book..a great help to me
on 23 March 2017
It's brilliant, I'm really enjoying it.
on 12 April 2016
Excellent resource for individual reflection or as part of a reflective service focusing on the death of Jesus.
on 28 March 2011
This book is thoughtfully and beautifully written by someone who really knows his subject. I so enjoyed reading each chapter and they all were meaningful for me. I have purchased several copies for friends. I can't give any higher recommendation than that. Five stars from me.
on 30 March 2010
Such an excellent book - Stephen Cottrell (Bishop of Reading) writes with passion and understanding of Jesus' pain and suffering for us as God's children. I urge you to read it cos your life will change.
on 26 May 2011
Our Rector planned to use this book for the basis of the 3-hour devotional on Good Friday this year (2011), and I purchased it (as I was assisting at the service). It is well-written (as are all of Stephen Cottrell's books) with a wealth of approachable imagery and yet a finesse and economy of style that makes the thought provoking topics approachable. Not that the subject matter is anything near "easy" - but the author makes it more understandable. A well worthwhile small volume, which can be used either by individuals or groups, or within a wider worship/devotional format.
on 23 February 2015
This thoughtful series of meditations guides the reader to appreciate more fully the significance of the things that Jesus carried to his cross. Each chapter is best read at a measured pace and with time after to sit and think over the content and to note one's own process. It is an aid to prayer and meditation. My one caveat is that perhaps too much attention is paid in the first chapter to the mechanics of crucifixion, albeit Bishop Stephen does not sensationalise. The suggested exercises could be improved upon. Stephen Cottrell's aim is that the reader get under the cross in order to understand. I found my imagination stirred to engage with other Biblical texts alluded to in his theme - surely he has carried our sorrows - Isaiah's Servant Song poems - and the Agnus Dei of the Eucharist - the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world. Thank you, Bishop Stephen.
on 7 October 2010
This is a book with a different take on the crucifixion. It makes you think and is suitable for using in a study group