Format: Paperback|Change

on 1 December 2008
"The best book on urban ministry I have ever read." So declares the Church Times reviewer, John Pridmore. Of Bishop Laurie Green's books two have been acclaimed as a Church Times `Book of the Year', and this is one of them.
The Revd David Eaton, on reading this book wrote, "my only regret is that I did not have this book ten years ago when I came to my urban parish. In the book Bishop Laurie Green not only paints the political, demographic, social and economic background to urban life today in our cities and towns but he gives a wealth of ideas to help the minister in an urban setting - which includes most of us, in one way or another. Many of us wonder, "how can I possibly engage with all that is going on in my community today?" Well, this book will really help us to engage. It is packed with examples and help to support a minister.

Those who have read Bishop Laurie Green's seminal book on contextual theology, Let's Do Theology, will know his readable style and penetrating understandings of how ordinary people can make the connections between life's issues and their Christian faith. This book is shot through with pavement level stories and they are placed alongside the deep analysis of the urbanologist that Bishop Green is. He contends that the mission of Jesus in his day was to proclaim and inaugurate a radically alternative culture and community, that of the Kingdom of God, and our work as Christians in today's urban world must mirror that wisdom.

Pridmore continues, `Green grew up in the East End of London [and] throughout an acclaimed ministry he has remained true to his roots and obedient to the command - a recurring refrain on these telling pages - "stay in the city".' Here is a book written from profound experience of urban life around the world. It's globally informed, and yet down to earth. It's a `must read'.